News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 Hydramatic flywheel to crank spacer/bushing?

Started by paulkersey, September 10, 2013, 12:10:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulkersey

Was looking at some old posts and I cant recall them now but there is a shop diagram of what looks like a brass spacer/bushing that rides between the flywheel and the crank to keep the ring gear from sliding forward?

This scared me. I do not recall ever seeing something like this during disassembly or around the garage.

Sorry I do not have the part number.

Getting ready to mate the trans to the 390. all 1960 stuff.

This is what I have going together.
J. Wicks # 19583

The Tassie Devil(le)

The spacer is a round disk, made out of tool steel, and is the outer diameter of the crankshaft spigot hole, and about 3/16" thick, with a small 1/16" hole in the centre.   I think a 1/4" thickness is too thick.

I was pulling the trans off, and out of the corner of my eye I had the feeling that something fell onto the ground.   Took a while to find it in the dirt, as I really didn't know what I was looking for

I don't have a picture of it, but I did manage to find it and figure out where it went.

I wouldn't be surprised that there are a lot of vehicles out there with this part missing, as one doesn't expect to see something like this that could fall out.

Bruce. >:D 
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Grant Owen

Attached is a pic of the spacer you need, I machined a few of these a while ago but have used or sold them all, maybe time to machine a few more. The most likely cause of vibrations is a missing spacer if the trans or engine has been out.

paulkersey

Thanks guys. I am usually pretty careful with this kinda stuff.

That goes in the end of the crank with the small hole out?
J. Wicks # 19583

The Tassie Devil(le)

Doesn't matter which way, as the hole is just there or probably hooking a piece of wire into it to remove it from the end of the crankshaft if it ever becomes stuck.

I believe the spacer is there to act as a pre-loading mechanism when bolting the drive plate to the fluid drive.

I think that any time one of those transmissions was separated from an engine in a wrecking yard, the discs got lost.   If not then, more likely as the engine was being transported around the yard to the customer.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon