News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1947 light switch

Started by Martin Michaels, September 10, 2013, 09:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Michaels

Greetings, I need some help on how to remove my light switch from the dash on my  1947 sedan 6269 I looked for a set screw on the knob,I do not see any button on the back to release the shaft. I backed off the collar,it unscrews and backs off the shaft but does not separate.I know I am missing something and I don't want to force it and break it. Thanks for any help. Marty
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green
1980 CDV D Elegance  White

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Marty: Here are 3 pictures which should help you remove the switch. With one hand reach up on top of the switch and find the spring catch that the pencil is pointing to in picture 1. Use your finger and push down on the spring catch which will release the end of the light knob shaft. With your other hand pull that knob shaft out from the front of the light switch. Picture 2 shows the front of the chrome bezel from which you just removed the light knob shaft. Find an Allen wrench that fits that bezel opening and unscrew the chrome bezel. Now your switch can be pushed back from the dash and pulled down to get at the switch. If you are going to keep the wiring and it is the original wiring be very careful with how you handle the switch when you push back and down as the original cloth insulation covering is very brittle.    Bill

Paul Tesone

Bill - you're UNBELIEVABLE ! You need to write a new service manual for us 47 Caddy owners . You must have pictures of every nut & bolt of your car ! I thank you again for all the help you have given me in the past during my restoration - which , by the way, has finally been completed . Martin - don't lose Bill's name . He is wealth of knowledge ; and very willing to help people like me who know very little about old cars, but enjoy driving them and seeing that they are preserved . Paul Tesone CC # 6876

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Paul: Thanks for the kind words. Congratulations on finishing your car. Now you can drive and enjoy all your hard work. When I bought my 47 there was no internet, only a telephone and pen and pencil. I had a friend with a 46 but in another state. Needless to say I wrote and called him many times. Along comes the computer, internet, digital camera and the Cadillac Forum. Now we have the Smart Phone with a built in camera and the capability to communicate with another computer or telephone by using Skype or Face Time. It is still amazing to me that I can pickup the telephone with Skype, look at someone almost any place in the world, see and talk 47 Cadillac. I enjoy helping people with this great hobby called- cars by Cadillac.  Have fun Paul with your 47.      Bill

Martin Michaels

Thanks Bill, I removed the switch, cleaned it . I now have all my dash lights working however I had to move the off the rheostat post I've worked on it but cannot get it to work right. At least I have all my lights working. Thanks again.
Marty
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green
1980 CDV D Elegance  White