News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

How to make my oil filler cap decal lay straight?

Started by 52Cadillac, September 11, 2013, 12:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

52Cadillac

How can I make it look smooth on a curved surface? The oil filler cap one is just not acceptable. I've tried several things, but a no go.
Thanks, Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

harvey b

Maybe try a heat gun,it will help the vinyl stretch so it will expand around the curve better? or maybe even take it to one of the sign shops,those guys are pretty good at laying out big sheets of vinyl decals?Harvey Bowness
Harvey Bowness

Tom Boehm

Hello, I had the same problem with the air cleaner decal on my 1940 Lasalle. The problem was that the top of the air cleaner is not flat. I peeled it off and tried various glues without success. I tried Dap contact cement and that worked. No wrinkles. I got it at Ace Hardware. Small brown glass bottle.

Grant Owen

The problem with the repo Decals is that they are Stickers , most of the original decals were Transfers , Stencils or Stamps.It is very difficult to get a  sticker to follow a rounded shape the original decal on the oil filler cap was a transfer . It has puzzled me why no one has made proper Authentic looking decals that's why I have made many myself I am currently looking at making more proper authentic Decals . Nothing worse than seeing a restored car with stupid looking stickers , attached picture of a 59 i am currently restoring I made the oil canister decals much better looking than the non original sticker that isn't even correct that everyone seems to use. The oil filler cap is NOS & has a transfer.

Tom Boehm

The transfer on the '59 NOS cap appears to be slightly smaller than the reproduction on the '52. It therefore fits entirely on the flat area of the cap and lays better. Maybe the reproduction sticker would lay better if it were trimmed a little.

52Cadillac

Tom that might work.
Grant you are correct. Let me know when you've the correct ones going.
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)