News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

coil wiring aftermarket coil 40 LaSalle

Started by csearider, September 11, 2013, 06:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csearider

My stock ignition coil went bad. I am forced to install an aftermarket coil until I find someone to get original rebuilt.

Question: The original coil had a shielded wire from the end cap of the coil body to the ignition and the coil wire end was running a negative posted wire to the distributor. When installing the temporary new coil, with both + and - leads on coil wire end and no end cap wire,  I followed the same with the negative lead to distributor and positive to ignition. I cannot get engine to fire. I have a buddy that installed one of these aftermarkets on a ford and his instructions were positive to distributor (the reverse) and works fine. Both vehicles are positive grounded. My coil had no instructions for positive grounded engines.  I just rebuilt engine and this greatly complicates the issue as I cannot get rebuild to fire.....please help!!!!

pauldridge

Yes, on positive ground cars, it should be the positive lead that goes to the distributor (after all, that's the purpose of the distributor.. to provide intermittent ground connection to the coil.

However, I'd be surprised if that alone solves your problem.  These coils should at least function regardless of polarity, but it's a place to start!

For the next step, I'd disable the coil wire purportedly from the ignition, and instead just run a jumper direct from the negative coil terminal to the negative post on your battery.  That will determine if you have a wiring problem under the dash.

And finally.. just to reconfirm that your replacement coil IS a 6V coil (not as easy to come by at your local parts store)
Phil Auldridge
Austin, TX
1940 60S as well as MGA, Stingray, '39 Ford Coupe, BMW 3.0 CS, '59 Jaguar, '51 Hudson Hornet, '64 and '70 Mercedes roadsters, and Nash-Healey LeMans Coupe
[img]http://www.auldridge.org/images/hdricon.jpg[/img]

csearider

Excellent!   Excellent!..Thank You so much for the reply and input......I will try in the morning and will let you know by post the outcome....however, you are exactly right in that this may be just part of the problem......it is typical that coil would fail when new engine is installed and there is no reference in isolating 1 part or cause as to maybe many.....thank you!