News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Mounting coupe on a rotisserie

Started by Hayden P, September 12, 2013, 09:59:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayden P

I have my 1960 Coupe deVille stripped right down... Engine comes out this weekend, and then body is coming off frame to go to media blasting.

Body will go on a rotisserie ... Rather than re-invent wheel... Can someone who has done this please tell me best way to mount rotisserie to body...ie - best places to actually mount to.

Thanks.

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Hayden the rotisserie will act in the same way the frame of the car acted, only your new rotisserie frame will rotate to where ever you want it.

Use the bolt holes in the body that connected it to the frame. Try to catch as many of those holes as you can at all 4 corners of the body.

Jack the body as high as you can and then slide the rotisserie onto each end of the body. Use those body bolt holes to connect it to the ears of the rotisserie.

I hope this helps.

Mike Baillargeon  #15848

Mike
Baillargeon

Grant Owen

Hayden,   On my rotisserie I mount the 2 front & 2 rear body mounts , the rear also has supports that mount to the body mounts in the trunk see attached picture.

The Tassie Devil(le)

The secret of rotisserie-mounting is to have the centre of gravity of the body as close to the centre of the pivot point of the rotisserie.

This way, when you roll it over, it won't try and take you with it as it moves, or worse still, fall over.

You will need to make up a bracket that attaches to the front body mount points, and have the pivot point nearer the centre of the firewall.   And the same at the rear.

I think most good quality rotisseries have the required bracketry, and instructions, to accomplish this.

If you are going to make your own, then have a good look at others first.

It is a bit like putting an engine on an engine stand.   Don't centre it, and it will kill you.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Grant Owen

Hayden , a couple more pictures of my rotisserie front & rear mounting positions , it is easy for one person to flip the car on its side both directions & turn back it has a stop on the lower bar to stop it flipping to far.  If you know how to do a little welding they are quite easy to make. I used trailor wheel hubs & axels 120 PCD which will take a Holden BMW Rim use decent wheels & tires it makes moving it easy.

Hayden P

Thanks everyone... I have a rotisserie.

Now I can see where to fix it to.

The Tassie Devil(le)

A picture tells a thousand words.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me