News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1947 rear lights

Started by MartinC, September 14, 2013, 07:48:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartinC

Can anyone tell me why there are two rear lights at each side?
Both have dual filament bulbs, making four lights per side.
On my car the top bulb is stop/tail.
So what does the lower one do?

I was investigating why my rear lights are so dim and have discovered a previous owner has fitted 12V bulbs (!).
Hopefully they will be nice and bright when I put the correct type in. Although I was considering LED bulbs instead?

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I believe the other one is for turn signals. Even if you had them only for stop & tail lamps, they are so dim so you need all the light you can get. Many people paint the inside of the buckets silver to brighten things up as much as possible.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

MartinC

Further investigation has shown it is turn signal yes, although a dual filament bulb & holder it has only one wire going to it. I wonder why they just didn't use a single filament bulb instead? Very odd!

I've now installed pieces of foil tape inside the housing. Not got the right 6V bulbs yet but it looks brighter already.
Can't wait!