News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1990 ECM computer rebuilder

Started by g27g28, September 15, 2013, 03:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g27g28

I was wondering if anyone knows of a vendor rebuilding ECM's.  I have a 1990 Fleetwood with the 4.5 liter engine with a little less than 80k miles and it is running rough.  I purchased used components from a junkyard in CA a couple of years ago but would like to find someone to rebuild the whole ECM.  Does anyone have any contacts?
1941 Series 62
1954 Coupe DeVille
1978 Phaeton
1980 Fleetwood

David King (kz78hy)

Bruce Roe is very good.  Normally he specializes on the mid to late 70's fuel injection stuff.

Bruce reads the forum a lot, chime in Bruce if you find this thread.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

bcroe

Sorry, I only do the 70s analog units (because I have a car).  But there is a lot of support for
the later digital units.  Bruce Roe

g27g28

Bruce,
Is there anyone you can point me to for help with the later units? 
1941 Series 62
1954 Coupe DeVille
1978 Phaeton
1980 Fleetwood

936CD69

Greg, remanufactured computer modules (ECM) are readily available. One part number covers 90-93 C cars including deVilles, Fleetwood, and Sixty Specials, For example, Rock Auto parts carries one by Standard Motor parts and one AC Delco. They are also available on e*bay, but for a used one you need one from a 1990.

What is unique is the EEProm that is replaceable in the computer. 1990 has a unique part number. EEProms are rarely the issue in these cars.

Assuming that basic ignition has been eliminated as a cause for the misfire, 90s are somewhat prone to injector failure. If an injector fails, in most cases it damages the ECM. Dave Shepard on this site is a valuable resource for these cars. If he doesn't pipe up soon, send him a PM. I do know there is a procedure to test the resistance of the injectors as part of the diagnostic, and that a lot of mechanics replace all 8 injectors at once as a CYA.

HTH,

Craig
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302