News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Dream Used Car Lot

Started by Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621, September 15, 2013, 04:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I thought this might be a pleasant diversion from bickering about whitewall tires, modified cars and locking of CLC Forum threads.  ;D

Herewith is something which I think we can all agree to like. The picture speaks for itself.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

gary griffin

Very nice but isn't  that a Chrysler Imperial rear end on the right side towards the camera?
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Quote from: gary griffin on September 15, 2013, 04:29:20 PM
Very nice but isn't  that a Chrysler Imperial rear end on the right side towards the camera?

Remember it's a used car lot so theoretically, anything could be in inventory. Obviously the guy did well with Cadillacs.

Also note the red '61 4-window flattop sedan (2 cars to the left of the yellow '59)- even rare back then.

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: gary griffin on September 15, 2013, 04:29:20 PM

Here in Canada, Imperial was it's own brand.  In the US, it was Chrysler Imperial.  My dad had a '56 Imperial he said that he couldn't use the a/c in because the vents would build ice.  Now that's what I call a/c!
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on September 15, 2013, 04:46:28 PM
Here in Canada, Imperial was it's own brand.  In the US, it was Chrysler Imperial.

That was also the situation in the States as well, Dan. From 1955-1975 Imperial was listed as "make" on titles and in NADA Used Car Appraisal Guides. The same also been the case for at time with Continental as a make, but the practice was short lived as everyone continued calling them "Chrysler Imperials" and "Lincoln Continentals".

quadfins

Great pic.
What a Fine Festival of Fins!!!

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

David King (kz78hy)

Nice inventory for that used car lot.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

n2caddies

Looks like Ken Perry's back yard!!
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

C.R. Patton II

Hello

This is an occasion where I would love to have Rod Serling as a close friend.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Ken Perry

Kinda does look like my back yard ! Anyone know the storie behind the picture? Is that a poster that can be bought? Thanks for posting the cool picture. Ken Perry
Cadillac Ken

Big Fins

Man. I need to get to know Ken a little better.  ???
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Ken Perry's Photography

As a young guy that loves Cadillacs I could not have it any better as I'm Ken's son. Hints the username. Sometimes I just sit in the front yard on the bench and just stare at the cars and think of how lucky I am. I mean who else gets to see the view from their front yard of four 59's, three 60's, and one 62 and that's just a little taste of all of it. A cadillac lovers paradise if you can stand the heat!
2 61 CDVs, 63 park avenue, 71 sdv, 77cdv, 78CDV

Quote from: George K Hashem on September 15, 2013, 08:26:25 PM
You know what would be neat to know what this used car dealer "crook" wanted for these cars. Sorry Eric I could n't resist the cheap shot on the used car guy.

Too bad I couldn't buy the whole lot with today's $$$$.

...and probably not a legit odometer reading in the entire pack. Ha!

Back in those days, just about everybody spun 'em. You would've had a difficult time staying in business if you didn't.

I wonder if that "old" '55 Chevy was about to be traded...

@Cadillac Ken- Good question. I'll see what I can find out. -Eric

Walter Youshock

Eric, you would be in your GLORY with an inventory like that.  Although I don't see any black convertibles... 

I've never seen that many '60's together even at a Grand National.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Indeed, such stock would've make any dealer proud.

Besides convertibles, what is really missing is black coupes.  ;D

Amazing as it may seem, Eldorados were generally avoided by dealers back in the day. Cars with multi-carbs and air suspension were looked upon like the plague.

R Schroeder

and here I thought Eric pulled his cars out to wash them.

By the way those are 60 Chevy's in the picture.

Mr. Mulberry

Chances are he had an "in" with the local Cadillac dealer.

The car business was very different back in those days. New car dealers couldn't get rid of trades fast enough. You had two or three year styling cycles so cars looked dated really quick and resales plummeted. My father bought a '59 Series 62 Coupe for $1,800 (dealer to dealer wholesale) in 1962 with low mileage in mint condition and he still lost money on the car.

What a change in the business model from then to now: New car dealers not only cling to choice trades, but actually go out to auction to purchase used car inventory. Such a practice would have been thought practically unimaginable 30 years ago.

**Correction: Art Archambeault pointed out the red car-  second to the left of the yellow '59 Coupe is a 1960 Chevrolet, not a 1961 Cadillac. If that's the case, it could be new car inventory after all, as George suggested.

76eldo

It's also a posed picture. Very possible that the guy arranged to have more Cadillacs than usual on hand for this photo. It's also taken from a raised vantage point so it's possible that this is not just a snapshot of a normal day.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Big Fins

Maybe for a print ad in the local fishwrapper or community magazine.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille