News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 Cruise Control

Started by n2caddies, September 15, 2013, 04:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

n2caddies

Hi everyone . I'm installing a cruise in my 60 and I thought I had all the parts. All the mechanical parts are in and I'm working on the wiring. Using the service manual and following the schematic I'm not figuring what the vacuum switch is. I know the NSS has vacuum for the parking brake release but I don't see anything that could be a switch. I do have the brake switch installed and it looks like the double connector is missing a wire. Could I be missing something? I have tried to take a picture of that which was quite a trick in itself with all the room down there. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

Dave Shepherd

I repaired a 59CC a few years back, there were no vacuum components in that system, the later ones that worked on vacuum had a second switch on the brake pedal to shut it down. Maybe 60 is different but I doubt it.

n2caddies

The 59 is different as it had a separate  NSS that has contacts for the cruise wiring harness. In the 60 supplement manual to the 59 manual it specifically shows a vacuum switch in the wiring sequence instead of any reference to the NSS which again is different for a 60 as it has a vacuum port for the parking brake release.
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

n2caddies

Still trying to trouble shoot this 1960 cruise install. Can anyone shed a light on what the vacuum switch is mentioned in the service manual. I'm thinking it must on the "output" side of the vacuum line feeding the parking brake release. Seems redundant if there is a shut off suppled by the brake pedal switch and the brake light switch. Thanks
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

Dave Shepherd

I know I am repeating myself here, look at how the CC functions there are no vacuum controls that either shut if off or control it, correct?  Sorry that is not the answer you are looking for.  Have you gotten it working, do that first.

quadfins

I will speculate that the vacuum described in the '60 system does not actually affect the operation of the system itself, but is some kind of cutoff - the vacuum from the neutral safety switch acting to turn the system off if the transmission is shifted out of a drive gear.

But this WOULD also be accomplished by the brake pedal activated switch - Who would shift from drive to reverse without first using the brakes? I think that it was a back-up fail-safe system that turned out to be unnecessry, as it was eliminated from the '61 system - which I have and use regularly.

Personally, I would not worry about it. Like an appendix, it seems to be superfluous. If you can get the system operating without it, fine.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Dave Shepherd

Quote from: quadfins on September 17, 2013, 01:19:24 PM
I will speculate that the vacuum described in the '60 system does not actually affect the operation of the system itself, but is some kind of cutoff - the vacuum from the neutral safety switch acting to turn the system off if the transmission is shifted out of a drive gear.

But this WOULD also be accomplished by the brake pedal activated switch - Who would shift from drive to reverse without first using the brakes? I think that it was a back-up fail-safe system that turned out to be unnecessry, as it was eliminated from the '61 system - which I have and use regularly.

Personally, I would not worry about it. Like an appendix, it seems to be superfluous. If you can get the system operating without it, fine.

Jim
Agreed!

Ken Perry

Randy I could go out and look at my 60  we looked at before and see if I can find what you are talking about. I don't think that car has ever been messed with. Ken Perry
Cadillac Ken

n2caddies

Thanks everyone I'm beginning to agree that the vacuum switch is redundant and probably eliminated. I'm now trying to figure out the rest of the wiring at brake pedal switch. It seems logical that it would tie into power at the stop light switch. Still need to mess with it some more as I can't get it to work. Does the rotation of the dial go from 8o'clock position clockwise to 4 o'clock? Looks like the adjustment for the ravel of the dial would be simply rotating the switch assembly behind the dial after loosening it. I opened up the unit and it is clean and shiny. Speedo works fine   Ken ill have to drive down there and check it out on yours  probably be the easiest. Ill post the results! Thanks again
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

imotors

I currently have a 1960 Sedan deVille with working cruise control. Feel free to contact me during working hours(M-F 9-6 EDT), and I will be glad to help!!
steve apter
4123638.2647 cell

59-in-pieces

Randy,
Here are some pics, to see if your setup is similar.
The 60 neutral switch is different with the vacuum switch - see pic.
Hope these help.
Have fun.
Steve B.
S. Butcher

n2caddies

Thanks SteveB.
I have basically what you have pictured. The 60 neutral. safety switch I have has the vacuum ports straight out rather than angled which I have seen both used interchangeably. The second one you have pictured is for at least to my understanding a 59 only. My manuals regarding the 60 don't make mention of a different NSS when using a cruise control. I am trying to sort out the connection on the wiring at the brake switch. I can see the 2 plugs that connect to the brake switch though one on the double plug looks to be missing a wire. That leaves 2 single plugs which I thought should tie into the stoplight switch. That is where it must get the power from. Unless those 2 single plugs might have gone to the 2 connectors on a 59 NSS. I believe my cruise set up came off a 59 rather than a 60 no sure of the wiring harness was different. Ill be playing with it. Thanks
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

59-in-pieces

Randy,
I'm not a 60's guy - only 59, even though the cars are similar - even the 59 differs on many details from the beginning of production to the end.  So not hard to believe the 60's contain even more changes.
Having said that, The picture at the bottom of the 4 I sent before is a NSS from a 59 with the 2 tabs - see the photo description "- 59" at the end.  I have attached a photo of a 59 NSS without cruise control.
Just for fun I attached a photo of your straight tube 60 NSS.
I have attached a 59 cruise control wiring diagram so you can see how it may differ from your 60 setup.
I will assume that you are correct that the 60 NSS with the vacuum addition is for the emergency brake release and did not take the place of the 59 NSS with the 2 electrical connection tabs.
Also keep in mind that the 59 with cruise control operates with 2 switches at the brake pedal - one for the brake lights and the second specifically for the cruise shut off - see second photo sent before.
Let me know what you finally figure out - just fun things to know for me.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher