News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Generator demagnitizing?

Started by RicWLun, September 16, 2013, 10:35:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RicWLun

Hello,

I have a 1946 Ser 62 Sedanette.

I had my generator and regulator fixed as new and tested together outside of the car. Now I have installed it al and it does not charge the battery on idel or on a higher revs.

Some one told me that since the generator had been unmounted for a year that it had probably been demagnitized. So I must remove it and have it fixed.

Is there really a problem with generators becoming demagnitized and if so how common a problem is this?

Thanks for any help,

Richard W. Lundgren

TJ Hopland

I don't know how long it takes to happen but the process of magnetizing it is usually called polarizing.   

You don't take it off the car to do this.   I don't remember the exact procedure but it involves shorting a couple specific terminals on the regulator for a few seconds.   I think this forces the field to become slightly magnetized.   This slight magnetism is just enough that when the armature starts spinning it will generate enough current to activate the cut in relay in the regulator which then energies the field so it can deliver full power if its needed.

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

RicWLun

Hello,

Ok yes I know what you are talking about. It is the connection one should do after installing the gen. and the reg. It is done on the reg. connecting a jump wire between the ARM and BAT terminals of the reg. no more than 2 seconds.

I must confess I did miss to do this. I will head out shortly to the garage and do this step.

In any case if someone knows if the generator itself can become demagnitized and the only remedy is to remove it from the car and have it repaired, please let me know.

Many thanks TJ for your fast messsage! :)

Richard