News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Fired carburators?

Started by Renato, September 17, 2013, 07:35:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renato

I read from Jason in white wall tire topic

...I made a decision to run a modern Edelbrock carb for efficiency, driveability, elimination of an often dangerous mechanical choke tube that cracks and causes fires.   I may enter my 64 next year and expect a bit of an authenticity deduction for it.  Running this carb for my "safety reasons from first hand experience in seeing carb and choke tube related fires, was my decision...

I never heard about fired carbs. It is a know danger?
R. Bognar

russ austin

A cracked choke tube can cause a fire, if the carb leaks fuel externally.   Fix the cracked choke tube, and run what ya brung. I have no problems with any of the carter carbs I rebuild.
R.Austin

TJ Hopland

Was this choke system different than any other?  I'm not quite seeing how a crack in q choke system would be any more hazardous than any other place under the hood.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Renato,
"ditto" Russ.  These cars have run for decades, trouble free with ALL the original equipment they came with.  Fixing what is wrong with your Carburetor and the "hard parts" will bring far more satisfactory results, especially if you have any intent on having your car judged.  These forums are absolutely full of posts first asking how to modify their linkage, fuel, choke and idle speed up systems so they can use some generic (usually an eldlebrock, since they are cheap).  They they start asking how to tune these carbs so their car will idle and perform satisfactorily.
The Edlebrock carb series are decent carburetors, but they are intended essentially for small block chevrolets with distinctly different perfromance criteria than Cadillacs. Even the Rochester Quadrajets that came later (67 on) are uniquely modified for the Cadillac engine they are intended for.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Renato

Great :)

All of my old-timers are very important for me to be original. I never change parts not even if I can build in better (like 2 circuit master brake). So I'd like to know is it a common problem (I never heard before) or not. Thank you guys.
R. Bognar

Renato,
If it is just the tube from the intake manifold to the carburetor choke that has split, replacing it should be quite simple.  The most common reason for these tubes to get damaged (or split) is a "ham fisted" mechanic working on them.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Coupe Deville

I have a 57 series 62 sedan. How can I  I.D. The carburator. And how hard is it to rebuild these things? I have seen rebuild kits around the Internet before for the 57 365ci.

Any help is apriciated

Thanks
-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Dave Shepherd

If it is a Carter AFB, they are pretty easy to go over.,  The 4GC and Wcfb carbs are much more difficult to set up for a 1st timer., also check for worn throttle shafts on any of them.

Renato

Which carb was better in that time? Why?

Rochester VS Carter?
R. Bognar

Dave Shepherd

The Carter was less complex to build, rebuild and adjust, the aluminum base could be an issue with boil over of the fuel, so a phenolic spacer is required under the carb.

Renato

I set up for 3 days my Rochester on my 57. But after it runs only 12-13 liter/100 km.

What's depend on the type of carb? Many 57-58 have Rochester others Carter.
R. Bognar

Dave Shepherd

They were interchangeable in respect to running, obviously the linkage is a little different.

Renato,
12l/100Km equals almost 19.6 Miles per gallon.  If you think this is bad, I am sure a few on this forum might discuss it with you.
\Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Renato

No it's fantastic. A bigger 2.0 Turbo engined modern car with automatic easily can eat the same. Caddy more than 50 years old and almost 2.5 ton
R. Bognar

russ austin

TJ, the cracked choke tube is a fire hazard for this very reason; Hot exhaust gas is swirling around the choke tube, to heat it up and cause warm air to rise to the choke.  The choke tube is open to the elements, very close to the bottom of the intake manifold.  A cracked choke tube lets very hot exh gas into the choke tube, and down to the bottom of the intake manifold.  Now, if your carb is leaking gas, the gas fumes will collect at the base of the intake manifold, right where all that nice hot exh gas is being pumped out.   Just changing carbs is not going to fix the cracked choke tube, or the possibility of one.  Only if you pull the intake off, and seal the choke tube holes.

Seen more than one car, with the round burn mark, right above the carburetor.
R.Austin

Steve Passmore

Russ, did you notice the age of this post :)
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

russ austin

I did, just catching up on posts.
R.Austin

Coupe Deville

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on September 19, 2013, 09:20:19 AM
12l/100Km equals almost 19.6 Miles per gallon.  If you think this is bad, I am sure a few on this forum might discuss it with you.

Quote from: Renato on September 19, 2013, 02:35:33 PM
No it's fantastic.

Please elaborate. You got a 57 Rochester 4GC to put out those miles? What jets did you use? Im very interested.

-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Renato

Quote from: Coupe Deville on August 31, 2014, 12:27:01 AM
Please elaborate. You got a 57 Rochester 4GC to put out those miles? What jets did you use? Im very interested.

-Gavin

It was an original Rochester with 2 lane like this:

http://static.wixstatic.com/media/bb80cd_1ce303e122fb4871ae371f6262f37c7c~mv2.jpg_256

Sorry I do not know the english name of it. Most of Rochester have 4 pieces of "lane". I really would like to know why installed 2 types of Rochesters.
R. Bognar