News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Minor carb issue 42 Caddy 6269 - 346ci 2 brl hydramatic

Started by James Gray, September 17, 2013, 10:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Gray

I have a slight issue if someone would care to give me some general direction.
Under acceleration, the carb acts like it's not getting enough fuel. Big sucking noise.
I checked all of the vacuum lines and they appear to be intact.
Fuel pressure is good. Fuel is clean. It could use a filter but that doesn't appear to hinder the operation. I need to find a fuel filer...know where I can get one?
Timing is spot on. There is no miss.
As long as I feed the throttle slow to moderate it is fine all the way through the revs.
It does this only when given mid to full throttle from standing idle through the full driving range. No golf pun intended. Besides, golf ball dent are no fun.
Unfortunately, it is enough of an issue that I cannot take it on the open road.
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Maj. James F Gray Ret.
Kristie Koepplin RN BSN

Member # 28494
1942 Cadillac Series 6269

Alan Harris CLC#1513

The obvious answer would be that the accelerator pump in the carburetor has gone bad. This gives an extra slug of fuel when the throttle is pressed down hard. The shot only lasts for a second until the fuel in the bowl catches up with the higher speed.

If the car is not running and someone pumps the accelerator, you should be able to see the shot of fuel when you look down the throat of the carb. If not, check the accelerator pump.

James Gray

That is what I was thinking but it has been 20 years since I've done this so I wasn't certain and didn't want to start and be wrong.
Thank you,
Maj. James F Gray Ret.
Kristie Koepplin RN BSN

Member # 28494

joeceretti

Just wondering if the problem was the accelerator pump plunger?

James Gray

Sorry Joe, I had to put the project on the back burner for a bit. I had a few items of importance for family and military to attend to. This was a bummer to because I had intended to get this thing squared away before the 9th of November to drive a friend and his new bride from the wedding to the reception. I have to tell them tomorrow that this will not happen. I sincerely hope they will not be heart broken. They were really looking forward to it.

On the funny side, I had broken down the carburetor to rebuild it proper. I had all of the little parts on a board with little hole, number, id's and so on, when I tripped over the motorcycle jack and whala... parts hunting I went. Under the table saw, in the bass drum, behind the water softener and in some of the tiniest cracks. I had to take down and entire wall shelf system the old guy built. Whole day gone.

Next...

Jamie

New guy has yet to become a member but will get there.
Maj. James F Gray Ret.
Kristie Koepplin RN BSN

Member # 28494