News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Commercial Chassis vs Regular Chassis

Started by Retroman, September 20, 2013, 08:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retroman

Ok....excuse my ignorance.  I have a 66 Convertible.  I once had a mechanic tell me he thought it was on a CC.  How do I find out for sure?  I see often parts will or won't fit a CC. 
Neil F
1966 DeVille Convertible

CLC Primary Class Award Winner
Third place 1965-66

Rhinebeck, NY 2014 - 2nd place in class
Rhinebeck, NY 2015 - 1st place in class
2014 - Lake George, NY

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Gene Beaird

I doubt they made a 2-door commercial chassis.  He probably thought that because of the extra reinforcement that goes on a convertible frame and the differential with the drop-in center section.  The differential looks like a Ford 9", which you see under a lot of Ford trucks.  That spells 'truck chassis' to the uninformed. 

But I am indeed no expert on Cadillac commercial chassis!

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Retroman

Neil F
1966 DeVille Convertible

Third place 1965-66

2014 - Lake George, NY

TJ Hopland

Did most of the commercial chassis even come with doors?   When did Cadillac start offering them?

I don't recall hearing about anyone building convertibles from them but who knows? 

This is for sure the right place to ask such a question.   I'm sure someone will know.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Philippe M. Ruel

Use a tape measure to measure wheelbase on your car (wheelbase is the distance between centers of wheels on the same side of the car).

1961 to 1970 "ordinary" 62/DeVilles feature 129-1/2" wheelbase, as opposed to CC huge 156" wheelbase.
1952 60 Special in France.

C.R. Patton II

Hello Neil

We encourage any questions here on the Forum.

Is it possible that your mechanic was referring to a flower car chassis?
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Retroman on September 20, 2013, 10:22:45 AM
EricDev - The vin is F6238197

Mystery solved: "F" = DeVille Convertible. It is not a commercial chassis which begins "Z".

Perhaps your mechanic was misled by the structural reinforcements of the convertible body style as Mr Baird suggested.

HTH,
Eric
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Retroman

All great responses and thank you for the "F" designation vs the "Z" designation.  I did not know that and I'm now sure my mechanic was making a guess.  Many thanks!!
Neil F
1966 DeVille Convertible

Third place 1965-66

2014 - Lake George, NY