News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

57 Valve Cover Paint

Started by Coupe Deville, September 22, 2013, 12:19:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupe Deville

Hello. My 57 Cadillac series 62 Sedan's valve covers paint is just peeling away and soon gone all together. I don't have a lot of money to spend on this car at the moment so I can't take them to a shop to get professionally painted. Has anyone ever used a spray paint that is close to the blue Cadillac engine paint for 1957. Any ideas

Thanks

-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Renato

Hello Gavin,

I used on my Caddy powder coat (only the valve cover and the air filter)

If you would like to spray it (only with engine paint) the most important issue is DO NOT USE primer only the paint. The primer and the paind has different expansion (maybe this is the correct word). In this case the paint won't be too long life.

Before all sandblast it at first.
R. Bognar

Walter Youshock

Get a can of Bill Hirsch Cadillac Blue.  Remove the covers from the car, sand or strip them, make sure the screw holes are flat (to avoid leaks).  Use a good primer then the Cad blue.  New gaskets and you're ready to go.

Once you do the valve covers, the rest of the engine will look out of place.  It is a very evil process...
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

52Cadillac

Walter is right for the better finish.
However a small can of Bill Hirsch cad blue and a small paint sponge on a stick will allow you to paint in place, cover everything else. That paint is thick and will hide a lot of strokes. The remainder will last a long time as well.
Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

Walter Youshock

For small touch up, the can is good.  I was referring to the spray cans.  If the covers aren't leaking and you don't want to remove the covers, it's a viable option.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Coupe Deville

The gaskets are really old so I will be pulling them anyways.
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Walter Youshock

Then you may as well go all the way and spray them.  If they're leaking, the bolt holes may be warped.  If you do the touchup now and change your mind later, it's more paint and another gasket set...
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

52Cadillac

Is there a cure for warped bolt holes?
Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

Walter Youshock

You have to hammer them flat.  Put a piece of wood or flat metal on the bottom surface of the cover.  Using a piece of wood, tap the top area with a hammer to flatten the hole area.  Shims in a vise could work, too.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham