News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Long Distance Trip

Started by tug, September 22, 2013, 04:34:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tug

Hello....I,m new to this site. Just purchased a 1954 60 Series Cadillac sight unseen.
    This car has 47k original miles and is mechanically sound but only driven locally.
     My question is....assuming I check all fluids/tires/hoses/etc would a long distant trip
   (Nebraska to Florida) be advisable?
            I,m thinking it could be a great adventure if I take my time ...or...big trouble.
      I need to know a safe cruising speed and any issues unique to this car that I should
    be aware of.
           Thanks in advance for any input.....J Barry

Davidinhartford

That would certainly be an adventure.     Keep in mind that back in 1990, 91? that Cadillac Motor Car company entered a 1955 Cadillac Fleetwood in the One lap across American road race and it broke down several times, even with a factory crew and support truck following it.  I think what finally did them in was a bad gas tank.

Friends of mine took a 63 Buick across country in 97.   They had a box full of spare parts along with them.  Belts, hoses, etc.   What grounded them for a few days in mid trip was a bad water pump.   

So it just goes to show you that anything can break and you can't have a spare for everything that can.

But if you are insistent to do it,  I'd put new tires on it and new belts and hoses before leaving.  Keep the gas tank as full as possible to avoid sucking up sediment at the bottom of the tank.    Have a AAA towing subscription and a friend follow you.

C.R. Patton II

Hello Jerome

Welcome to the CLC Forum!

Nice vehicle. I concur with David.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

52Cadillac

Welcome Tug. While of course David, and CR is correct. I'd follow his advice.
However in this regard it's a doable trip. I've driven mine on a recent 2300 mile trip, another 1200 mi trip this year. Last year we did about 3000 cross country in the 52. We've had issues on almost every trip, all repairable. Each trip seems to get better. The worst thing that can happen is a repair not fixable soon enough. So hire a car hauler to haul her home and rent a car if necessary. Although I've not used one yet, Auto Haulers appear to be all over the internet. Everything worthwhile is an adventure.
Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

Jay Friedman

When I bought my '49 in '84, I had the same desire as you to drive it home 600 or so miles from Chicago to Atlanta.  The car seemed to check out OK and I'm a pretty fair amateur mechanic, so I thought I could deal with anything that might come up on road.  Wrong!

It's impossible to be aware of all the possible things that can go wrong on a car you have not owned very long.  Particularly an old car which typically had not been driven very much by its previous owner.  He/she could be the most honest seller in the world and still be unaware of all a car's faults.  Once you've had a car for a while, are familiar with it and have a "feel" for its virtues and faults, you are in a better position to judge whether it can successfully complete a long trip without any problems.  (Also, don't forget a car problem on the road, away from your home base, tools, support from others, is a much bigger problem than the same problem at home.) 

Back in '84 I started out with my '49 and for 100 miles or so, all was well.  Then, at a stop for fuel I noticed a puddle of oil under the rear axle.  Yes, the pinion seal had failed.   Frequently seals can harden and "dry out" on a car driven infrequently and sudden sustained use will cause them to fail and leak.  I pulled into a garage in a town in Indiana whose mechanics said they could fix it in an hour or so if I would supply them with a new seal.  The garage's owner called all over the area but no parts house had a seal for a 35 year old car.  I then phoned all the usual old car parts companies but none of them could get the seal delivered for several days (it was the start of a holiday weekend.) 

I left the car at the garage, whose owner graciously agreed to store it for a nominal daily fee.  I called a transport company who said they could pick the car up in a few days and deliver it to my home for not too much money (which obviously is what I should have done in the first place.)  I then flew home.  A week later the car was delivered and I had the seal replaced. 

Since I've owned the car so long and am now very used to its "personality", I've been able to go on 15 or so successful long trips with it, to CLC Grand Nationals and Driving Tours as well as elsewhere.  The moral of the story is don't do this with a newly purchased unfamiliar car. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

35-709

Jay Friedman pretty much nailed it, too many oddball things can go wrong on top of just the regular stuff.  You would be time and money ahead to have it shipped. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

TJ Hopland

I'm with Jay.   If you do it be sure you have a good back up plan in place.  I have driven a few cars I bought a couple hundred miles without major issues but when I got them home and really dug into them I was amazed I made it.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

jyinger

I agree with David, CR and Mike.

It will be an adventure, and there is a fairly good chance you will make it home without a catastrophic incident.  I have done this a number of times:

1949 CDV  Boston to LA
1949 series 62 4-dr Atlanta to LA
1949 series 60S Denver to LA
1949 convertible Enterprise Oregon to LA
1965 Corvair Corsa turbo Philadelphia to LA

The only Cadillac problem was a blown radiator hose in the 49 convert.  I found a junk yard in Redding, CA and a replacement hose from a 1960 Mercury.

The Corvair was another story.  My daughter Amy and I left Philly with high hopes, and had a great trip for the first 1,100 miles.  Then, dropped a valve seat in Kansas City, trashed the engine.  Left the car in KC to have its engine rebuilt, bought a 1975 Lincoln Towncar for $1000, made it to Salina, Kansas before the engine seized up.  We gave up.  Took the bus to Denver, flew back to LA.

Pretty good, though, huh?  Only one complete failure out of five long distant trips in a car unknown to me when I started.

I say go for it.  And stick to the Cadillacs.

Jon Yinger

CLC#26643
1949 Fleetwood (2)
1949 CDV
1952 Fleetwood
1958 Eldorado Brougham

Jon Yinger

Jay Friedman

I would add a second conclusion to Jon's story: "stay away from Corvairs". 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

INTMD8

Personally I would do it but only because I enjoy the challenge and adventure. Just know going into it you could be facing some challenges (or failure).

But the risk is what's part of the fun.

Some years a friend and I flew from Round Lake Il to Sacramento Ca to buy an 87 Buick turbo T limited. The car wasn't as advertised so we rented a new Cadillac DTS to drive home.

We made it across the state of Nevada. The next morning while paging through an auto trader I saw a 78 Trans Am 400 4-speed, in Carson City.  We drove back across the state, I bought the car and after dropping off the Cadillac, proceeded to drive home 2000 miles stopping only for fuel.  We went through several entire tanks of fuel at 100-110mph and made it home in 24 hours. (and in time to go to work the next day on Monday).  Didn't get pulled over and the car was great other than a noisy throwout bearing.

So while pretty much nothing happened as planned, it was one of the best trips I've ever had.

The Tassie Devil(le)

As has been previously stated, it is possible, and can be a very enjoyable experience.

But, as the cars get older, and used less, the inevitable problems can arise, due to the previous "lack' of use.

In 2002, I purchased a 1989 Thunderbird (50,000 miles on the Odometer) (Couldn't find a nice 1972 Eldorado Convertible) to drive around USA, (14,750 miles in total) in just under 4 months, and all I did initially was replace the battery, 4 tyres, and did a brake check and oil change.   Left Orange County, and in Sacramento,  replaced the spark plugs, and in Ocala Florida had to call the AAA as it boiled dry, and got towed to the nearest town.   Put in Barrs Leak, and then continued to our destination in Los Angeles, with no more trouble.

In 2008, I purchased my Cadillac, 1972 Eldorado Convertible, (89,000 miles on the odometer) and after cleaning it up, replacing the vacuum lines, Plugs,and a tyre (Spare was bald) proceeded to drive 4,600 miles from Detroit to Cherry Hill, then to Prince Edward Island and back to Auburn NY, where it went into a container to bring home.   All that happened on the trip this time was a steel belt in one of the tyres let go in Connecticut, resulting in another new tyre, and then having to get some extra gas in the AC.

Would I do it again?   YES.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Coupe Deville

Sometimes you can get lucky with these Caddy's. My 72 Coupe Deville sat for 20 years. Pulled it out, full tune-up 4 new tires changed oil/filter and away we went. Took it on a 300 mile trip both ways last December. Not one problem. Sailed thru the trip. Just floated down the highway. It's about the journey not the destination. Nothing better then a road trip.

-Gavin Myers
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

52Cadillac

All great advice.
Plan A is to arrive safely, and with no incidents.
Plan B is to have typical parts needed for a long distance trip breakdown.
Plan C is to ship your car home after a catastrophic breakdown.
You know you don't want to say to yourself later in life, Damn, I should've gone when I was able. Or so and so is gone now, I'd wish I had gone to see him in my Cadillac he really loved that car.
Have a good trip, and don't forget your membership directory.

The best advice on the Corvair is to sell it, and no long distance in a Corvair. Earlier this year Cadillac widow and I drove the Spyder convertible to Sarasota, and back to Savannah one weekend this year. No breakdowns, but she was no Cadillac. Sold that car this year.
Mike
SemperFiFund.org

76eldo

If you look the car over and have some belts and hoses and tools I'd make the trip.  Of course the unknown is your mechanical skills, knowing what you are hearing, seeing and smelling as it relates to an old car.

I have nightmare stories on car haulers.  NEVER take the lowest price, ALWAYS go enclosed, and if possible, use a Mom & Pop hauler with a nice enclosed trailer and make sure your car isn't going on a commercial car carrier.

Keep your speed to 60 or lower, try to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

In addition to the above recommendations, I'd suggest giving the brake system a thorough eyeballing as well. Single reservoir brake master cylinder means a single brake line or hose failure means you're done for.

Don't make the "adventure" your last...or someone else's.

In all honesty, I'd discourage the scheme altogether. For the ~$1K savings, it's simply not worth the risk, IMHO. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

TJ Hopland

Quote from: 76eldo on September 23, 2013, 08:52:50 AM
plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Having a plan to deal with the worst (if it happens) I think is the key. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

76eldo

I totally agree on the brake system.  Of course a master cylinder can fail, but if the lines are rusty or linings severely worn, or wheel cylinder leaking, that's a real problem.

Maybe transport is a good idea but there are a lot of problems there too.

Know who will be handling the car from beginning to end, do not give it to DAS, stay away from commercial car haulers, just use a classic car hauling company.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

52Cadillac

Good tips on using car haulers. What's a DAS?
Mike
SemperFiFund.org

76eldo

DAS is a company. Dependable Auto Shippers.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: 76eldo on September 24, 2013, 07:47:02 AM
DAS is a company. Dependable Auto Shippers.

Brian

They forgot the Un-.  ;D
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute