News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1948 Cadillac water pump rebuild

Started by 48ragtop, September 24, 2013, 10:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

48ragtop

I've been considering having my water pump rebuilt for my 48 Cadillac.   I've investigated the various rebuilders and what they offer.   My question relates to sealed bearings vs. original type.   Obviously there are rebuilders offering new sealed bearings claiming no need to periodically grease the pump.   I've had one rebuilder who stated that he doesn't offer newer style bearings (sealed) because machining of the pump housing is needed to install them.   He said, and this makes some sense, that it removes material and potentially weakens the pump housing.   As a result he provides bearings that do require greasing, but can be installed without needing to machine the pump housing.   

Another rebuilder told me that even with sealed bearings the rebuilt pump would still  need periodic lubrication.   Grease was needed for what I'm not sure??

Any feedback or experience on the issue of sealed bearings and/or machining of the pump housing would be appreciated.
Edward M. Wisniewski, CLC #26482
1948 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible
1957 Chevy Belair Convertible
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4
2007 Chrysler Crossfire

Brett Baird

John Washburn had an excellent article on rebuilding these water pumps in the June and July 2013 Self Starter.  Page 33 of the June issue has a photo illustrating the internal parts of the pump.  The front bearing on these pumps is sealed, and requires no grease.  The pump shaft is supported in the pump housing by bronze bearings (essentially heavy duty bushings), and they do require periodic greasing.  I suppose that somewhere a talented machinist could fit sealed bearings in the housing to replace these bushings, but why?  If you replace the old packings with modern seals as suggested in John's article, don't over tighten the belt, and keep the bushings greased, the pump should enjoy a long life.
B Baird
'41 Fleetwood 60 S  http://bit.ly/1jwgEWm
'59 Sedan DeVille 6339 "Flat-top"  http://bit.ly/1jwgUF1

48ragtop

Brett:

Thanks for the response and info.   Makes sense, particularly as these cars are not driven daily, pump should last quite a while.

Thanks,

Ed Wisniewski
CLC No. 26482
Edward M. Wisniewski, CLC #26482
1948 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible
1957 Chevy Belair Convertible
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4
2007 Chrysler Crossfire

joeceretti

I rebuilt mine, from my 38, recently with a kit I bought online for about $75. It was very easy and came with an instruction sheet. The only thing I didn't have was the press to put the pulley back on. Dropped by a friends shop and it took all of 30 seconds to press it on. Mounted it and it works beautifully. I think the pumps are the same with only differences in the ports.