News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

I have another question (power window)

Started by 90Brougham, September 24, 2013, 05:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

90Brougham

For the past month my front passenger window hasn't budged at all, it did this in July, but then it fixed itself, I don't think it is the switches, because after it fixed itself in July, both switches worked just fine, so my guess is that the motor finally dead after 23 years, what do you think?

Thanks,
Christopher Dillon
1990 Brougham
307 5.0 Liter

mgbeda

Hard to say.  You'd best take off the inside door panel and check the motor/circuit.  First you can see if there is power to the motor when you press the window switch.  As a double check you can apply power to the window motor and see if it moves, but bear in mind these motors draw a lot of amps, so a poor connection might not give it enough juice to actually move.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

Walter Youshock

Each motor has a built-in circuit breaker.  Sometimes water will wet into the motor and short out the breaker or the points will corrode.  There is a second type with a capacitor type breaker.  This one seems to die completely. 

Remove the regulator from the car (motor and track assembly).  You'll have to drill out the rivets.  Remove the window from the regulator (2 10MM bolts at the bottom of the glass). 

With it out of the car, remove the white nylon portion where the harness plugs into the motor.  Use pliers to spread the metal retainers.  Carefully remove the part and make sure the springs and motor brushes don't go flying. 

If it has the capacitor type--a yellowish/orange rectangular thing--you can try to unsolder it and replace it with a piece of plain wire.  This worked for me.  Test it with a battery charger.  The other type with the brass and contacts I haven't been able to get working.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham