News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1979 Coupe DeVille

Started by AtlantaMc, September 25, 2013, 11:49:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AtlantaMc

Hey guys!
Hopefully some of you pros out there can lend some advice for me to restore the Deville. Brief history, My Aunt/Uncle bought it off the showroom floor at Lone Star Cadillac in Dallas TX(always garaged and now in storage). In 2009/10, I brought it to Atlanta(Tucker) GA. It had about 82,000 when I brought it back, and now 85,000. She drove it very little the previous ten years which has taken its toll on the engine seals causing lots of leaks; to the point of not parking it at home... Just had the rear main, and valve cover seals replaced which helped, but still leaking from the upper rear of engine. Had the oil sending switch replaced last summer along with the AC. Very disappointing/embarrasing when you pull off the freeway and still see smoke from oil leaks... The air filter also gets a oil type substance on it as well between changes. Even though I've been changing the oil, apparently my Aunt did not; as I was told and shown the sludge buiid-up in the oil pan, and baked on oil scraped off of the head covers. This car is all original; and now a family heirloom which I want to enjoy, and eventually pass on to another family member. Would like to know what the best course of action would be with engine repairs. Does the whole motor need to be pulled at this point? Do any of you know of a great mechanic in Atlanta? That's a BIG problem I've found...
Regards,
Mark McDermott
1979 Coupe DeVille
1997 Sedan DeVille

Gene Beaird

The first thing I'd do is a good general tune-up: plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, distributor rotor, PCV valve and PCV hose (I suspect this isn't working properly, hence your oil leaks). 

Then, when time allows, refresh the cooling system, by replacing the radiator hoses and heater hoses.  I'd bet these things are about to just pop. 

If the engine is running well, I would really hesitate to do any major engine work.  The timing chain probably needs to be replaced by now, but the engine doesn't have to come out for that.  Even if you don't plan to do much of your own maintenance (I highly recommend you do, but can understand if you don't), I also highly recommend you locate the Factory Service Manuals (FSM).  Try to get the factory manuals, as the Haynes and Motor-type manuals are simply copies of some of the pages from the Cadillac FSM. 

That's a nice-looking car.  Keep it out of the sun as much as possible.  The plastic filler panels that run between the body and bumpers are known to just crumble with age, and replacements are ok, at best. 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

76eldo

I sold a 1941 Cadillac to a collector in Atlanta who owns a repair shop.

His name is Phil and his number is 770-689-6600.

Tell him Brian recommended him.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Dave Shepherd

Oil in the air cleaner is the big issue, that usually is caused by excess crankcase pressure from a clogged up/ inoperative pcv system or blowby past the rings.  If this engine is sludged up eventually it will have to come apart.  Check the pcv system first, if ok have a cylinder leak down test done, not a compression test, this will evaluate ring condition.  BTW, the 79 car was one of Cadillac's most reliable cars during my tenure from 62-86, with GM.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I beg to differ: 1977 - 1979 Cadillacs were among the most reliable Cadillacs of all time, IMHO.

I quote, from the '94 Guinness Book of Records: "The highest recorded mileage for a car was 1,442,044 authenticated miles up to 25 Jan 1993 for a 1963 Volkswagen Beetle owned by Albert Klein of Pasadena, CA. The highest record mileage for an automobile with the original gasoline motor without an overhaul is 577,363 miles to 5 Jan 1993 by Don Champion's 1979 Cadillac
Sedan de Ville."
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

76eldo

Isn't that what he said?

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

He did.

Proceeding to corner now...  :D

AtlantaMc

Thanks guys for all the info..
Gene- I have never rebuilt an engine or carb before, and dont have all of the proper tools or space. I have replaced most other parts over the years in different cars, so know a little about what's involved. I will start looking for a FSM per your suggestion; as right now I'm finding it challenging just to reset the clock after changing the battery. Lol!
Brian- I will Phil and find out where he is located.
Dave- I had someone else mention the blow by which is why I was leaning toward the rebuild. Just peace of mind for travel/touring purposes...
Thanks again guys!!   :D
Regards,
Mark McDermott
1979 Coupe DeVille
1997 Sedan DeVille

R Schroeder

Mark , on the service manuals you will need the 1977 repair manual, and the 1978 supplement manual.
77 is blue and white on the cover.
78 is black on the cover.
There also is a body manual for this car too.
Check on Ebay. They are always for sale on there.
Roy

TJ Hopland

I would call the 78 Supplement a dark blue.    Why are we talking about 77/78 when he has a 79?   79 had a full manual, its got a brownish color.   It appears to be as common and similar priced as other years from that era.

The ends of the intake manifold can ooze quite a bit of oil.  I have never seen one leak bad enough to smoke off the exhaust but they do leak.   If you still have oil in the back after replacing the oil pressure switch the intake is the next most likely place up there.

Like the others have said if the PCV system is not working properly its going to make any slight leak into a big one.     
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

R Schroeder

Oops, I'll proceed to the corner with Eric. Misread the year. Sorry
Roy

T.J. You might be thinking of the body manual being dark blue. I just sold this set to a guy, that owns a 77. Pictured in his car.
But the repair manual for the 78 is black on the cover.

TJ Hopland

Well, you made me go look.   It depends on what you compare it to and the type of lighting.  I consider it a very dark blue but I suppose it would be more in the black family than what you would typically think of as blue.    Things would be easier if we could just stick to the 8 or maybe 16 original Crayola colors. 

AtlantaMc

Thanks again guys for the help! Just put it back in to the shop last night to have the manifold seals replaced as it is leaking from the front and rear seals(I know my limits with repairs; and my back!!). Should be good to go after this!  Funny, but after driving the 79 Coupe around for a few weeks now, I get into my 97 Deville and it's like I'm missing something. THE HOOD!!!  Ha!  Replaced the door seals(Steele Rubber) this past Saturday which made a big difference in freeway noise. The driver side door wasn't too bad, but whomever did the passenger door was an over achiever with the adhesive!  :o  Another thing off my list! Yea!!
Regards,
Mark McDermott
1979 Coupe DeVille
1997 Sedan DeVille

R Schroeder

Nothing like a big hood out in front of you. Love driving mine all over. This was on one of our trips with our car.
Roy

AtlantaMc

Very nice, Roy! Plan on many road trips myself!  8)  Hopefully tour around with members too. Looks like the club is pretty active here in Atlanta...
Regards,
Mark McDermott
1979 Coupe DeVille
1997 Sedan DeVille

Quote from: Roy Schroeder on October 03, 2013, 04:32:59 PM
Nothing like a big hood out in front of you. Love driving mine all over. This was on one of our trips with our car.
Roy

Amen.

TJ Hopland

The long hood is one thing I really like about the 79-85 E's. 

Quote from: TJ Hopland on October 05, 2013, 09:57:38 AM
The long hood is one thing I really like about the 79-85 E's.

Take a drive in a 77-79 Lincoln Mark V sometime, if you haven't done. It's a 747 runway.

TJ Hopland

I actually had a 78 and a 79.    Very similar hood to trunk ratio as my E's.    I liked the vent window that came down before the main window.

TJ Hopland

Just think what the hoods would have looked like if the straight 8 had become the standard motor.