News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

RestoMod 1933 on Ebay Now What do you think...

Started by Crazylumpy, September 27, 2013, 09:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

35-709

Al,
You really are in the wrong place for stuff like that, you should join us over at the Modified Chapter of the Cadillac & LaSalle Club ---- http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/.

Asking that price is one thing getting it is entirely different.  He's been watching too many Barrett-Jackson auctions.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Davidinhartford

I like the idea of a modern drivetrain and air conditioning for touring, but I'd prefer to keep the seats and door panels fairly stock looking.     The tires seem too.... wide?   

jagbuxx #12944

I could think of a lot better ways to spend $185k...
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

blue68deville

Nice build, not my style on the interior either but whatever. The owner probably spent quite a bit to have it all done. Doubt it will sell for that much.

Clay Tynan
68 Sedan DeVille
Centennial, CO
CLC #27486

52Cadillac

The owner most likely didn't come here for advice prior to lowering its value.
Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

C.R. Patton II

Hello Al

Glad to read you are conceptualizing the future of your vehicle.

At your convenience perhaps we could discuss an alternative for your LaSalle.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Chris Conklin

I don't think the term "5 year restoration" applies to this car. For my taste, I don't like the look of such a tall car used as a rod. Should have gone all the way and chopped it down a bit.
Chris Conklin

59-in-pieces

Al,
Did you ever get up one winter morning and run down stairs and saw the most beautifully wrapped present, with your name on it.
Then with expectations high, you opened it up only to find a sweater with a reindeer on the front - BUMMER.
That is the way I felt after opening up the link to see the most beautifully wrapped LaSalle, and then opened up the additional photos to see the car was a well painted organ recipient - inside and out - from many species - BUMMER.
Ignoring the asking price (and who wouldn't), my guess is that instead of spending all the money on  "upgrades", the owner could have spent less to bring the car back to as close to OEM, and have enjoyed an extraordinary car of its time - and more broadly admired and coveted if there ever came a time to sell it.
Just one disappointed purist's strong opinion.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Retro_Husky

Could have been done with a bit more taste. I like resto mods,  but the interior is to modern for the car.

Tim Winsor
1947 Cadillac Series 62
1984 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Jim Stamper

Pretty to look at? Only maybe, in my opinion, no where near as pretty as an actual restoration would have made it where it would have been an actual representation of a bygone era, and fun to drive to within the sensible limits of the time it was designed and built for.  As it is, it is so over powered as to be silly. Unless it has a built in roll cage we can't see an accident in that car, a roll over or crash, is unsurvivable at anything above a minimal exertion of that engine and running gear.

The best brakes in the world are no help when your on your upside down. I have several rodded cars back in the 60s of this era that crashed. They tend to look like an orange crate after a semi runs over it. There are plenty of pictures and books of old time car crashes. Look at those cars. Most are not high speed crashes, but  often it is impossible to recognize what the car was originally.

Sorry to rain on the parade, and I enjoy driving this period of car very much and have owned a number of them, but they were made for slow roads, and are best enjoyed that way.
                                                                                       Jim Stamper,   CLC#13470

wrench

1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

52Cadillac

Jim, I've seen these bids as well. I wonder about them. How does shill bidding work? Won't he have to pay up to eBay if it doesn't actually sell?
Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

Crazylumpy

Someone bid on it at 185K..... so it must be worth it to someone.... I wonder if the bidder is a friend of the owner?

Al

Jeff Wilk

Unfortunately these shill types of bids happen a lot on ebay. Generally a friend who opens a new ebay acct, or has an existing one with great feedback who places the bid to make an unreal price seem OK to someone else.  Then either right before, or even after the auction ends, the BUYER backs out and cancels their bid.  Yes ebay puts the cancellation on record to make sure this is not some pattern. But the seller is mostly unharmed except maybe for a small listing fee depending on how they listed it. In essence to the seller it become the cost of placing an add elsewhere of sorts.

All that aside..... I think the car is gorgeous and id drive it in a minute.....at no more than $35k. 
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

gary griffin

A shill bid can be created by listing with a reserve at $185,025 for example then having a friend bid the $185,000 then you get comfort that someone else is willing to pay the price and you bid and the reserve is made and you are stuck with a car at a price higher than anyone else would pay for it.

Very common on big ticket items on eBay.

With the bidders name not shown any more it is even easier to do now.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver