News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1979 DeVille Vinyl Top / Opera Light

Started by AtlantaMc, October 02, 2013, 10:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AtlantaMc

Hey guys,
Wanting to find out what is now used as a vinyl top wax. I used and LOVED Rain Dance on my white top years ago, but can't find anything similar now. Have the black landau top now, and have been using the 303 protectant, but it washes off pretty quick. The Rain Dance lasted a long time and kept the water beaded... Also, can the opera light bulb be replaced from the outside? Or is the sail panel removal necessary. Thanks in advance!
Regards,
Mark McDermott
1979 Coupe DeVille
1997 Sedan DeVille

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The opera lamp bulb is serviced from the exterior on your car. Begin by removing the Philips head screw - you'll figure the rest out.

As to vinyl top dressings & "protectants", my advice is to use none. Many of these products do more harm than good in my experience. A simple washing with mild soap and towel drying - as recommended in the owners manual - should be all that's necessary to keep your vinyl roof looking like new.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

AtlantaMc

Thanks, Eric. I did notice the screw at the bottom of the light housing. I just wanted to make sure before I tried; as things are hard to replace...
Regards,
Mark McDermott
1979 Coupe DeVille
1997 Sedan DeVille

AtlantaMc

Hi Eric,
I removed the bulb, and it has 1756 and a number 9. Have you replaced yours? If so, where did you find one...  or a few...  Ha!  Thanks!
Regards,
Mark McDermott
1979 Coupe DeVille
1997 Sedan DeVille

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Try taking it to an auto parts store and see if they can match it up with something. It shoudn't be too difficult to find a replacement.

Not familiar with # 1756- anybody have have suggestions?
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Glen

I did a Google search and did not find anybody listing a 1756 bulb.  Even the GE catalog did not have it. 

http://vacuumtubes.biz/documents/GE%20Miniature%20Lamp%20Catalog.pdf   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

R Schroeder

I took the top off an extra lamp unit I have, and the bulb said 756 on it.

Found this on the web.
Is this the bulb you have in yours ?
Roy

http://www.elightbulbs.com/catalog_product.cfm?source=NexTagCSE&prod=GL26593

Doing a Google search they seem to be sold almost anywhere.

https://www.google.com/#q=ge+bulb+756

AtlantaMc

Thanks guys!  I will check with the auto parts place today... I've attached the best pic I could get to show the filaments. Looks like there the two main wires up front, but they attach to a third wire coming up from behind.  Anyway, will let you know what I find. Thanks again!

Sorry, the pic comes out weird when attached... must bet my camera settings.
Regards,
Mark McDermott
1979 Coupe DeVille
1997 Sedan DeVille