News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

47 Cad front shock service

Started by 47 Caddy, October 03, 2013, 12:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

47 Caddy

trying to help a friend to change/flush and refill the front shocks, Motor Manual has nothing. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you, Mel Skaqggs

Jay Friedman

When you say "change/flush and refill the front shocks...", by "change" do you mean remove and replace the shocks, a big job, or just change the shock fluid? 

The '47 shop manual--the Cadillac factory manual, not Motor's Auto Repair Manual--should have information on doing either job.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

47 Caddy

LeRoy DeVol

I REPLACED THE FRONT SHOCKS ON MY 47 CAD & IT WAS A LOT OF WORK. YOU CAN BUY REBUILT SHOCKS FROM KANTER AUTO PARTS FOR ABOUT $200.00 PER SHOCK. THERE PHONE #1-800-526-1096. TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION ABOUT CHANGING THE FLUID IN YOUR SHOCKS!! IF THE SHOCKS WORK OK I WOULD NOT CHANGE THE FLUID . UNLIKE THE OIL IN YOUR MOTOR THE FLUID IN YOUR SHOCKS DOES NOT GET DIRTY OR WEAR OUT. IF THE SHOCKS NEED FLUID THEN THE SEALS ARE BAD & YOU WOULD BE SMARTER TO REPLACE THEM. THE BIGGEST PROBLEM WITH THE SHOCKS IS IF THE CAR HAS BEEN SITTING FOR A LONG TIME THEY WILL FREEZE UP. THE SHOCKS ON THE REAR HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE LINK BETWEEN THE SHOCK ARM & THE AXLE & THEY ARE HARD TO FIND. I BOUGHT MINE FROM ALLCADS OF THE 40'S & 50'S & THEY ARE ABOUT $90.00 ECH. YOU MAY BE ABLE TO BUY THEM FROM KANTER AUTO AS WELL. I HOPE THIS WILL HELP AS I GAVE YOU MORE INFORMATION THEN YOU ASKED FOR.

LEE DEVOL

47 Caddy

Jay Friedman

Another good place for new shocks, parts and service is Apple Hydraulics, Calverton NY.  I agree with LeRoy that changing the shocks in a '30s or '40s Cadillac is a big job.  I wrote an article in the October 2004 Self Starter with tips on doing it if you decide to attempt it.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."