News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Fuel Injectors 1990 Fleetwood

Started by Brent Hladky #21519, October 03, 2013, 09:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent Hladky #21519

I'm looking for some advice re my 1990 Fleetwood which has about 28K miles on it... bought it 4 or 5 years ago with 19K miles on it.  I recently took it to the garage after it started running rough, suspecting a fuel injector issue.  They agree that is a fuel injector issue, but are having difficulties diagnosing the specific problem(s) with which fuel injector(s).  Their latest hypothesis is that it possibly has something to do with the resin on them being deteriorated so they short out when wet (with fuel) as opposed to dry.  I had them ultrasonically cleaned and all have ohms readings in the 14 - 18 range.  Today they told me they have basically "given up" and are only prepared to fix my car if I agree to have 8 new Bosch OEM injectors installed at over $200 each.  They will not consider putting rebuild fuel injectors in.

I'd love to be able to have rebuilt injectors put in as it's a massive savings... they can be found for less that $400 for all eight (excluding core charge).  Is this an acceptable alternative?  If so, which firm offers quality rebuilds and do they guarantee their products?

What do you guys recommend and why?

Thanks very much for your advice.

TJ Hopland

If they suspect the issue is when wet why not check them when the engine has just been run?   I don't remember if they are all easily accessible but I seem to recall that most of them are easy to at least get to the connectors.  I do remember hearing about injectors that had issues when ethanol in the fuel got common.  Early 90's seems like it could have been the era. 

Have they checked the fuel pressure regulator?

How about the simple stuff like cap rotor plugs wires?   Lots of shops don't think about distributor caps anymore since they got kinda rare in the 90's.   

I just did a quick look online and did not see Bosch injectors but other good names like Standard and Delphi look to be going in the $80 range.  $200 seems way high. 

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Brent Hladky #21519

Thanks TJ.  Were the injectors that you found (Standard and Delphi) new or rebuilt?

TJ Hopland

New.  Rock Auto was one place that I think had multiple options.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason