News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

What is this?

Started by aggie2012, October 04, 2013, 10:43:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aggie2012

I'm a new proud owner of a 1973 Eldo Convertible. She's a fixer uper, but we're almost ready for the road. Anyway, I was working under the dash and found this thing. (Photo attached) Can someone tell what this is?
1973 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible

"Black Betty"

Dave Shepherd

Looks like the Twi. Sentinel photocell  that should fit into the dash top, you should see a hole, I believe, in the defrost vent grille or near it.

aggie2012

This project is getting better and better all the time  ;D . While we're on the subject I'll ask a few more questions:

How do you operate this system?

Does it give any trouble?

Is it easily fixed?

"Black Betty"

gary griffin

Just a few of hints here,

It would be better to post a question like this in the technical - authenticity forum as this forum is usually used for non technical items.

It helps to put the year and model of your car in the heading where you wrote "What is this"  Many of us are interested in certain years and models (I am interested in prewar models for example) . That way you would have the attention of the 70's enthusiasts immediately.

Consider joining the club. The national club and your local club are places to enjoy your hobby and promote the Marque.  Lots of nice people involved that would love to see the pictures of your car also.

Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

aggie2012

Thank you for the hints!!! As you can see I'm very new to this  ;)

"Black Betty"

Dave Shepherd

Get it plugged back into its proper location, turn on the Twi Sent. see how it works.

Davidinhartford

That is indeed the Twilight Sentinel photocell light sensor.   It fits into the drivers side speaker grille from underneath.     If you look into the speaker grille from above, you'll see a small round opening in the corner that it fits into from below.

To operate:

Keep headlamp knob pushed in to the off position.

Grab Twilight Sentinel control ring (around the headlamp knob) and turn on.

When it gets dark, (key on) your cars headlamps will turn on automatically.   You can duplicate this by covering the sensor with your hand.    It will not be instant on.  There is a short time delay to prevent your lights from coming on if you momentarily drive under a tree or roadway overpass.     

Yours lights will turn off when you turn off the key or if you drive until sunrise.

If you look at the control ring you will see that you can rotate it towards the word MAX.   This sets the exit delay.    The closer you turn the ring to MAX the longer the headlamps will stay on after you shut the car off.     This will allow you to walk away from the car in a path of light so you can find your way on foot.    You can also gain even more light to one side of the car during the exit delay by leaving on the turn signal to the side you want more light.  This will turn on the cornering lamp on that side.   The flasher wont flash, but the bright steady white light of the cornering lamp will stay on for as long as you set the exit delay for.

With the Twilight Sentinel option, you will never have to use the manual headlamp knob ever again if you leave the control ring in any position except  OFF.