News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Will a '64 fan shroud fit a '63?

Started by nick.stratta, October 07, 2013, 09:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nick.stratta

Hi all, Just acquired a '63 SDV which needs a few things.  For one it is running three quarters hot and has not fan shroud. It has a thermostatic fan with red edged blades (not sure if that's original or not!) and the fan is spaced a good 2 inches from the radiator core. I plan to flush the core. I've seen a '674 fan shroud on eBay - will it fit my '63 with the one year only 390 engine please. I'm thinking it might since that 390 evolved into the 429.
Thanks, regards, Nick Stratta 23023
regards & thanks Nick
CLC 23023, CLCMRC Museum benefactor 113

cadillactim

If you're using an original fan a 64 shroud will work.  May not have the exact bolt holes, but will fit.  I've sold several 61-64 shrouds that were used for different year applications (i.e. 63 shroud used on 62).

Your thermostatic clutch may not be working properly.  I would consider using a straight fan instead of a clutch fan.  Stay away from the 5-blade clutch fan, that was used around 64.  It doesn't cool enough.

Tim
Tim Groves

nick.stratta

Tim, Thanks - glad to know.  And yes I think it may be a 5 blade clutch fan!
regards & thanks Nick

russ austin

CadillacTim, would you have a good part number for a new, good fan clutch on the 63/64?
R.Austin

cadillactim

I don't think they are available new anymore.  The only repos are for 67 and up.  The 63-64 are smaller clutches and the 67 clutch won't fit in the hole.

Tim

Tim Groves

Jason Edge

61 to 64 (and 1965 75 series) shrouds are the same (group 1.277 part # 148 1126). I've sold many 63 and 64's interchangeably over the past 17 years.  Many opt to install on the non-AC cars. You need to also get the clip nuts and 3/8" head bolts to attached to outer flanges on the radiator cradle brackets.  Also, there is nothing wrong with the 5 bladed fan as long as the clutch is good as I've been running one for since 1996 including 100+ degree and very humid days here in NC with no issues.   I believe there are some clutches that can be substituted if you are not concerned about matching appearance.

Also there was some back and forth trial runs of the 7 bladed non-clutch fan in place of the 5 bladed clutch fan in 1964.  Here are some of my Notes:

Per 1965 shop manual, all 1965 body styles had the 7 bladed non-clutch fan. Late in the 1964 production year the 5 bladed clutch fans found an 62 & 63 series AC equipped fans were replaced with the 7 bladed fan similar to the one already found on the 75 series and commercial chassis body styles (in 1963 & 1964 non-AC cars use a 4 bladed non clutch fans that went through a couple of design changes).  Per Serviceman Bulletins, for 1964 they had done a trial run of the 7 bladed fan for Engine Unit Numbers 095092 thru 096419 and switching over for remainder of the year after Engine Unit Number 116,400.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

nick.stratta

Guys,
Thanks for all the replies.  The fan is a 18.5" diameter 5 bladed fan with a clutch. Looks original but with the blades painted read for some reason (but then the block had the blue over-painted white, which will be reversed lol). Fan spins freely when the engine is off & cold and seems to run fine when the engine running - so I guess the clutch is OK.
It was a AC car (from California since new) I also have a 7 blade 18" diameter fan with a shroud which I was going to put in the '65 instead of the current electric fan.
I'll email the shroud seller and see what size the opening is.
Thanks all!  regards Nick 23023
regards & thanks Nick