News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

LED courtesy light bulbs

Started by David Greenburg, October 09, 2013, 02:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Greenburg

I have replaced my door and rear quarter courtesy light bulbs (#212, a "festoon" style bulb) with LEDs I found on Amazon, but I'm not happy with the light.  Its pretty weak, but at the same time a harsh white color.  A while back there was a discussion started by Steve McCarthy (70sdv) talking about how he replaced the #212 bulbs in his car with a specific bulb (4210 WWHP) from superbriteleds.com, which he was very happy with.  But I can't find that bulb either there or elsewhere.  Anyone else gone down this road with good results?
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

TJ Hopland

I have not yet found a small 'white' led that did not have that harsh color to it.   I did find a few full size 120v ones that were decent, Toshiba made them.  Went back to the store for more an no on seems to carry them anymore. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Gene Beaird

You'd want to get the 'warm white' bulbs, wouldn't you? 

I recently put them in our 96 Impala SS, and really like the cool blue lighting.  It probably would seem a bit out of place in a classic Cadillac, although I'm thinking of installing them in our 68 just to cool the contacts and lenses down a lot. 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

David Greenburg

Yes, I'm looking for warm white.  I'm looking to do this for the same reasons; reducing the amperage draw and the heat; there are scorch marks on a couple of my lenses.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

beastly beauties

Hello David,   I have purchased products from oznium.com previously and find them to be a very good source for L.E.D.s. They claim they can assist with custom requirements. I can't speak for them but their products I have received have been unique to their company and I have found them to be my only source for my applications. I also have the courtesy L.E.D.s for my Eldorado and they are very bright. Hope this helps. Good luck.        David Symonds

dsrour

I purchased festoon bulbs from superbriteleds
http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/festoon/578-led-can-bus-bulb--1-led-festoon/1264/2937
These are very nice on my 66 eldorado. The light is whiter, but quite pleasant I find