News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

replacing coolant

Started by Cooke, October 11, 2013, 02:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooke

I just replaced both top hoes and the bottom hose on the 60S. The book calls for 6.25 gal. of coolant but after putting in 4 gal. it is full. The temp gauge seems to be working but I have only run the car for a few minutes in the driveway. Is it possible I have an air lock or something? Seems like all of the coolant from the engine would have been removed when the bottom hose was removed so I don’t think there was 2 gal. left in the block. Any ideas?? Thanks, Martin Its a 1938 60S

dadscad

My 63 will hold almost 2 gallons in the block. Unless you pull the block drain plugs, you will have coolant left in the block when just draining the system at the radiator drain cock. If you ran flush, etc. it will remain in there too. You really need to run a lot of clear water into the top outlet to force the dregs out the bottom hose, if you don't remove the block drain plugs. When all that is done you'll have 2 gallons of fresh water in the block. Compensate with straight antifreeze to get the mixture 50/50.

HTH, David
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

Jon S

Turn on the heater to make sure the core is filled.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

joeceretti

There are coolant drains on the block. Just removing the lower hose won't drain all the coolant. Also, has your rad been re-cored? You can tell if your rad has been recored poorly if it is much thinner than the frame around the core. Not opening the drains in the bottom of the block and possibly a smaller core combined with crud in the engine would account for the discrepancy.

CEC #20099

FYI to all. Some military surplus engines DO NOT have block drains. My 1945 Navy engine does not, & it is difficult to change coolant. I temporarily install a Prestone Flush Tee in a heater hose & flush with water . Drain at radiator petcock, & use a low pressure air hose at the flush tee to get more water out. Reassemble & add the required straight coolant, & then water to top off. Works OK.

c chleboun #20099