News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1938 60S - Apparently no VIN stampings

Started by joeceretti, October 14, 2013, 10:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeceretti

I have done a bunch of scraping of paint on my engine and frame. I understand that the VIN is supposed to be just below the distributor housing parallel with the bell housing. I have the entire area scraped down to metal and nothing!

I also scraped the paint off of the frame behind the left engine mount near the steering box. NOTHING!

I recently changed the water pump and never saw an area with the number. I used my scope and looked there again just to be sure.

My block has round corners that match up with the heads.

I was told by the original owner that the engine was original. He had the car for 72 years.

I am stumped!

Anywhere else I could look for it?

markl

Joe,
This recalls my travails w/ the engine that was in my 1937 LaSalle.  You mention replacing the water pump and not seeing a number.  If you have a machined boss that extends forward of the head mounting surface, that is where the number should be.  But if, like my "37" engine, the block has been decked, those numbers could have gone the way of the buffalo.  I apparently do not have the original engine because the machined boss was not present on 37 engines.  I believe the same is true of 38 engines, but I'll defer to others that are more knowledgeable like Steve Passmore.

If you do not have the machined boss extending forward of the head mounting surface, then "yes", the numbers should be stamped on the sloping surface just down from the distributor mounting hole.  Just checked my spare block and there is the number, starting and ending w/ a "star".  It is about 1/2" forward of the bell-housing mounting surface and reads right-side up when viewed from the front of the engine.

Mark Lowery, CLC #25216

joeceretti

I have the entire sloping surface below the distributor down to clean metal. For sure no numbers. No boss at all anywhere between the water pump and head. The other mystery is why there are no numbers on the frame. I will try cleaning the frame some more.

markl

Joe,
Hmmmmmmm.  Well as to the frame, I was never able to raise any numbers until I had it media blasted in preparation for powder coating.  That said, you should be able to clean it well enough w/ a wire brush.  You are looking at the top surface of the frame rail I assume.  I think it was intentionally placed in a location that would be difficult to alter w/ the body in place.  I really don't know if that is the case on a 38, but I'd guess it is the same as the 37.  Hopefully someone w/ a 38 will chime in here!

Mark Lowery, CLC #25216

Cooke

Joe,

I have attached two pictures of the number locations. The engine number you can hopefully see near the center of the picture. The frame number is near the steering column let me know if you cant see them in these pictures. I hope they give you a better idea of where to look.
Martin

joeceretti

Thanks Martin,

100% there is no number on that location on the engine. I was literally laying over the engine with a long screwdriver and wire brush. It's down to very clean metal now. Not even a hint of punch marks.

The frame, I need to do some more scrapping and brushing to be sure.

I am more interested in confirming that it is in fact the original engine. I am sure of it's era due to no boss above the water pump and nicely rounded corners matching the heads.

EDIT: Clearly 100% isn't 100%, see further posts.

joeceretti

I FOUND IT! It is the faintest stamping I have ever seen. It is in that area of the block. I had to climb back on top of the engine and hold a bright light to one side to even tell it was there.

The number is 2285352. Clearly, the engine has been changed. Can anyone tell me what this is from?

Steve Passmore

These numbers can be found in the CLSC directory Joe
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Jeff Hansen

Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

joeceretti

I checked my spare engine I got with the car. It has the correct serial number!

No question on whether I should switch the engine now.

At least I am not going to be rebuilding the wrong engine.