News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1941 ignition switch

Started by junktojems, October 15, 2013, 09:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junktojems

Just bought this 1941 series 63 it does not run and did not come with keys. I had a set of door lock 
and glove box keys made. I was told the door key is also the ignition key. Tried it but it does not turn. Is possible that the battery has to been hooked up for the key to turn?
   I dont know the first think about this car and it has not been running in over 40 years so I will be asking a lot of questions as I try to get it running so thankyou in advance for any help.

joeceretti

The key will turn without the battery connected.

One of the first things you should do now is get a CLC membership. I am new here and can tell you it is invaluable.

If you try to turn the engine by hand, does it turn at all?

junktojems

Yes the engine does turn freely . The previous owner told me he would dump oil in the cylinders. I read on one of the previous posts that their is a key code on the ignition switch body. If I was able to retrieve that code do you think I could have a key made from it . Is their any other reason that the key would not turn I am sure it is not seized.

gary griffin

Have you tried a lock lubricant??  I used to use LOCKEZE but there are probably better ones on the market today.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

To see the key code you need the key first to take the lock apart.  The key for the door and ignition should be the same.  Did you make the door key using a key code?  If not you might take the door lock apart and get the key code off of that.  Then have a key cut to code.  If you made the door key some other way it might not be accurate enough to work in the ignition.  The invoice from Cadillac used to have the key codes on them but now they are whiting them out.  I complained about it and they suggested to see a Cadillac dealer about getting the key code.  I never did it but if you like to ask questions that have never been asked before at a dealer it might be fun.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

junktojems

no I have not tried lubricant but I do not believe that is the problem. but I will try. The key was made buy a locksmith with the lock from the door. I am wondering if the locks had been changed so the door and ignition don't match. It does not look like it is going to be easy to take the switch out to make a key. Who would have figured .

joeceretti

If you understand the electrical system or know someone who does, it is relatively simple to just bypass the ignition switch to see if it will run.

junktojems

I have figured out how to bypass the switch. I have the starter being rebuilt right now. Changed the plug wires. Cleaned the points. Dont know if the coil is good will test. Dont want to put a lot of money into this until I make sure it is going to run with no knocks etc. It will need rebuilt carb, rebuild generator, rebuilt water pump, all hoses, radiator flush possible repairs, etc. Hopefully it will run fine and I can move forward in preserving the classic. It is a true survivor in the sense that it is 98% original and fairly solid auto.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Why don't you try the other front door to get a key made unless the guy makes a service call each time. If you used the LF door the first time, it may have been worn enough to not get the right # for the locksmith.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

junktojems

just talked to the locksmith he said to bath lock in wd says that the lock can seize up with seeing any signs. so I will try that and hopefully it works.

Jeff Kay CLC#7630

Once you soak the lock in WD-40, you might want to try to move the lock tumblers, as they may be stuck.  Try using a dental pick or something similar.  Place the pick in the lock and run it against the tumblers.  The tumblers are on the top of the lock and face downward.  This movement may cause the tumblers to free up and move downwards allowing your key to work.

Good Luck

Jeff Kay
CLC# 7630
1941 Cadillac Series 63

junktojems

I have been soaking in D will fool with the tumblers but I just don't think it is the lock My suspicion is that eather the ignition OR door locks were replaced at some point.

Two Crabs

Try moving the key ever so slightly in or out while it is in the lock. It just might hit the tumblers just right.
Two Crabs
1973 Eldorado Convertible