News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1940 LaSalle Dash Removal Wiring Update

Started by csearider, October 20, 2013, 02:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csearider

Battery side of ignition switch wire- Fire Under Dash!. Looks like I will need to replace engine/dash wiring harness. Latest forum on removal of the dash is "Technical / Authenticity / Re: '40 LaSalle speedometer / instrument cluster removal
« by Bob Schuman on September 28, 2009, 11:16:56 AM »". Bob did a good job explaining, but
1)Has anyone else had experience and additional info with replacing the engine/dash wiring harness?
2)Does anyone have a source for the wiring harness... ...would like to compare with Rhode Island Wiring website info (no LaSalle listed, only Cadillac)?
3) Anyone experienced with building own wiring harnesses?

Just did total machining/rebuild entire engine...cannot start until this problem corrected. Wiring insulation is shredding off wires...time to replace.
" I do not like the smell of burnt wiring in the morning"

C.R. Patton II

Hello

Glad to read you are improving your LaSalle.

Please make a phone call request with Rhode Island. Indicate your model to receive correct item.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

joeceretti

I spent the entire day today pulling the old harness out of my 38 and rewiring everything. I have it complete minus the tail lights. Those I will finish in the morning.

If you intend to wire it yourself I would be happy to provide assistance. I am pretty green when it comes to mechanicals but electrical is my specialty.

With that said, if you are not "electrically inclined" or you want your car to be concours quality, then you need to get a harness from a harness builder.

I will eventually get a harness from Rhode Island, but I have so many other things that need to have dollars spent I decided to remove the old harness and make my own before a fire starts and I lose the car. Making my own harness is relatively inexpensive.

When I bought the car 4 months ago, I immediately cut out the "bad" wires that were a direct imminent fire hazard and installed temporary wires for them. When rewiring today I removed all those and also the original harness. Here's what my original dash harness looks like. I am assuming yours must be very similar.

I wrapped my home made harness in black denim tape to give it a vintage look. I hate the look of colorful plastic covered wires in a car of this vintage.

csearider

Ha! Ha!...Your response is exactly what I needed! Actually, most of it is identical to my situation, condition of my system and on par with my electrical experience. Yes, I would appreciate your assistance very much. Building my own harness is most appealing and am looking for source for raw materials.

I just did a complete rebuild on engine and it is a shame I cannot even try and fire it off until wiring is corrected.

also, Antique Automobile mag is an ad for Harnesses Unlimited in Wayne, Pa. ....odd though as no contact info listed....search on google rendered http://harnesses-unlimited.com/...prices seem same as Rhode Island.....have call in to them for more info.

joeceretti

I think, to make your own harness is a pretty ambitious undertaking. I worry when you say the old harness is on par with your electrical experience. My background is computer and electronic service. Do you have a clear understanding of the system in your car and a clear schematic?

Rhode Island harnesses are a very nice option.

harvey b

I used a harness from YNZ in my 37, I was very impressed with it,the wires were all the correct lenth and even stuc,k out of the harness exactly where they were to connect to,pricey but worth every penny,the instructions were a little vauge,but I have some experience in this type of work and it went in smoothly,they have a tech support line too.I would just bite the bullet on it and put one in,you don't want it to catch fire later?. The wires are all the original type with the cloth covering,they look great when installed,when I first restored my car I had made my own harness from scratch,it worked fine but the colors of the wires turned me off,i should of put a new harness in then. Harvey
Harvey Bowness