News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

window motor

Started by grandads59, October 20, 2013, 06:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grandads59

on my 59 the drivers side window does not work.  Have removed the door panel and can see the motor, two bars going to the window, and the wire going to the motor.  Does the wire just unplug? and what is involved in removing the window motor?  Still need to test the switch but I'm pretty sure it it is ok.

J Hartwell  28314

35-709

It is very common for a wire, or wires, to be broken where it passes from the car into the door caused by opening and closing the door and subsequently bending the wire(s) back and forth many times to the point where they break internally.  It is especially a problem with the driver's side since that gets used so much more.  Since you did not mention that you have done so, I would make sure there is power to the switch first before going through the hassle of removing the motor.  If you DO have power there I would move the wires around to make sure the power is consistent, same with if you DON'T have power there to see if the power comes and goes. 
If good, consistent power is found to AND THROUGH the switch, THEN move on to the more difficult stuff, it is certainly possible that a window motor that old needs some attention too.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Glen

With this era car; if you determine that the problem is the motor you will have to completely disassemble the window mechanism.  The problem is the motor is mounted to the regulator assembly and is very difficult to remove without removing the assembly from the door. 

If you are able to get to the motor mounting bolts you need to figure out a way to lock the arms that raise and lower the glass. There is a big spring in there as a counter weight.  If you unbolt the motor the spring is released and the glass will fly up.  Fingers, hands etc in the way will get hurt. 

Be careful. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104