News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

How do you restore light sockets? This is a method that works well for me...

Started by joeceretti, October 20, 2013, 10:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeceretti

So, you have an old Cadillac and you want to, HAVE TO, rewire it. Wires are one thing but the light sockets are a much more complex issue. How do you do it so it is correct AND safe. Most importantly safe. Electrical fires in your vintage car are bad for your pocket book but more importantly, they can be dangerous and life threatening. The key to a successful restoration is a simple 1/8 inch rivet. A 1/8" STEEL rivet to be more exacting. Aluminum rivets are more common, at least around here but don't work out well with the soldering steps required to accomplish this. You can use copper, if you can find them, but I don't think it is necessary.

Here is a photo of an existing dash light socket from my 1938 Cadillac. The insulation is literally falling off and it is in imminent danger of shorting out at the base of the socket. You'll see in later photos the flakes of the insulation all over my work bench. Simply touching the wire causes the insulation to break off.

Here is the same socket pulled apart. You can see the insulation just fell off when I pulled the socket parts apart.

Here is the aforementioned 1/8" steel rivet with the spring and small  insulator.

Here, I have pulled the "nail" out of the rivet backwards and stripped a #16 wire approximately to the length of the shaft of the rivet.

This shot shows the rivet soldered onto the wire and the socket partially assembled. The fit is 100% perfect. I used a small file to work on the solder point on the top of the rivet to round it out for optimum contact with the bulb.

This final shot shows the socket reassembled and a butt connector crimped and soldered onto the other end of the wire. I then wrapped the wire in denim loom tape to give the whole thing a vintage look.

Good luck and happy restoring!

Joe Ceretti

The Tassie Devil(le)

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Philippe M. Ruel

I'm fond of this kind of job :)

I used to put a big drop of soldering tin on wire end, then file it to the correct shape.
Then I found new brass rivets were available at some harness remanufacturers - as well as cloth-covered wire in original colors.
1952 60 Special in France.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Another source of either copper or brass rivets is a supplier to the Brake and Clutch industry.

They come in all shapes and sizes, and have a hole in the end, with a solid face.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Chris Bryant #19358

Excellent post, Joe! As you know, I have a  '38 60S in the throes of being put together. I'll remember this!

Cheers,

Chris Bryant #19358

C.R. Patton II

Hello Joe

Very kind of you to share the educational lesson. Thank you very much!
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

markl

Joe,
Very clear and useful information.  One question; where did you source the "denim loom tape"?

BTW, if someone wants to use copper rivets, they are available.  I'm looking at a small package (25) of copper rivets made by Emhart home products division.  Their number C42.

But unless someone is having trouble getting the solder to bond to the rivet, electrolysis should not be a problem but the original button was no doubt brass.

Mark Lowery, CLC#25216

joeceretti

The old buttons in my car appear to be crimped aluminum. It seems fitting with the terrible aluminum wires that were throughout the car. I don't think steel would be a problem. The light bulb actually makes contact with the solder. The steel is just a holder for the whole thing.

joeceretti

I am not 100% certain where I bought the tape. It was one of the first things I went looking for after buying the car and seeing the condition of the wiring. I'll search through my papers later today and see if I can find it.

59-in-pieces

Joe,
Although I can't see clearly from the photo, is it possible that the tape you used is what we used to call "friction tape".  It is a little harder to find than the plastic tapes of today, but it is still available.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

joeceretti

It's not friction tape but similar. This tape has a very light adhesive so you can easily unwrap for servicing or adding splices later on. It has the look of denim. I can't find the receipt for it yet. I know I googled "wire loom tape" when I found it. It is meant specifically for automotive harnesses.

Jay Friedman

Restoration Supply, Escondido CA sells a lot of these re-wiring supplies.  I recently did a tail light on my '49 with their stuff similar to what Joe did.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."