News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1958 limited slip diff

Started by jenasp, October 21, 2013, 06:46:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jenasp

I am trying to find a ls diff for my 1958 sixty special. Any advise of where to find one would be nice. I live in northern Sweden and use my car as a daily driver all year. It performs great in the winter but some extra traction in the snow would be nice. J Aspen

jenasp

I have been searching the internet for some advise and some say the 55 to 64 Chevy diff would work.

Philippe M. Ruel

GM introduced optional LS differentials in some 1958 cars including Chevrolets, and on 1962 Cadillacs.

Though various commercial names were used ("Positraction" on Chevrolets, "Positive traction" on Buicks, "Anti-spin" on Oldsmobiles, "Controlled" on Cadillacs) they were all made by Spicer on the same principle. You'll have to find one with the correct ratio - 3.07:1 or 3.36:1, depending on the one on your car : 3.07:1 will have a "3" stamped on case, 3.36:1 will have a "6" or an "X".

From my 1966 parts book listing 1953-66 axle housings and 1946-66 diffs : axle housings were the same whether a LS or standard diff was inside. Though, housings were almost year-specific (1954-56, 1957, 1958-59, 1959-62, 1963-64 and 1965-66 for standard cars). So unfortunately don't expect to throw any Cadillac (or GM) full axle under your car with no further modification.

HTH
1952 60 Special in France.

jenasp

Thank you for your help. If i get you correct i could buy a new diff caryer for a Chevy and reuse my ring and pinion.

TJ Hopland

I have never researched this myself but it seems like what I have read is that Cadillac always seemed to have something slightly different about their stuff so I would not count on being able to put Chev guts in your housing.

Maybe ask your question over here, lots of people there that may have experience in this sort of thing. 

http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/forum/index.php/board,1.0.html

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Ken Perry

I have a cad limited slip diff. Don't know what gear ratio,will check. If you are still looking. Ken Perry
Cadillac Ken

jenasp

Yes I'm still looking.The ratio is no big deal. i can use my ring and pinion if necessary.

Ken Perry

I will try and get you a picture of the 3rd member tomorrow and the ratio. Ken Perry
Cadillac Ken

jenasp

Sounds great. Do you know What car it came from?

jenasp

Hello Ken. Any updates on the diff? J Aspen.

INTMD8

Quote from: jenasp on October 24, 2013, 02:52:34 AM
Yes I'm still looking.The ratio is no big deal. i can use my ring and pinion if necessary.

Usually you need the differential to have the same series gear as you want to use. (2 series/3 series/4 series) as ring gear placement is different. I'm not sure if Cadillac is the same.

jenasp

Correct me if I'm wrong but i believe the Carrier is adjustable sideways to compensate for different ratios. J Aspen

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guys,
These carriers were NEVER meant to be taken apart. Any service work was done at the factory using a very special machine.I would be concerned about fitting in your housing and the axle splines being correct. Be careful before you ship a 100# rear end  across the big pond.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

jenasp

I have a 3,07 ratio diff. If Kens is 3,36 it would work just fine for winter driving since it is quite simple to remove the complete third member.

jenasp

Hello Ken. Did you forget to check the diff ??? J Aspen

TonyZappone #2624

I bought my '58 with a bad rear end.  They are riveted together, they don't come apart.  I had to put in a whole used axle assembly.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

jenasp

Mine is bolted. I removed mine when i first got the car trying to find a rear end noise(turned out to be a wheel bearing). The biggest problem i found is that the thing probably weighs the same as a prius. J aspen

dadscad

So true, they weigh close to 100 lbs., better have a transmission jack or a pair of very strong arms to catch it coming out and to press it back in.

Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

jenasp

Hello ken. I'm still waiting. J aspen