News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1979 DeVille Hood Hinge reversal

Started by AtlantaMc, October 21, 2013, 11:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AtlantaMc

Have any of you reversed, or know of a hinge reversal kit for the De Ville? I've had other cars where the hood opened forward, and made working on it SOOO much easier. When you're 6'4" and OLD  :-\  , those forward opening hoods look better and better!!!!
Regards,
Mark McDermott
1979 Coupe DeVille
1997 Sedan DeVille

Scot Minesinger

Do you mean  hinged near the front grille like a 1960's Lincoln?  If so there is no kit available, it would have to be made.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

The Tassie Devil(le)

There would be more to simply attaching hinges to the front of the hood.

The whole hood strengthening frame would have to be re-engineered to allow for the reversed mass of the hood, plus the front mounting points of the hinge base would require similar re-designing.

Plus, if you are in an area that requires vehicle inspections, the safety of the passengers in the vehicle from a rearward protruding edge in the event of a crash, could result in the vehicle not passing inspection.

Bruce. >:D 
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

76eldo

If its that difficult to do a task under the hood, just remove it to do the work.
If its hinged in the front, which would be a major nightmare to engineer, what about work on the front of the engine?  Belts, water pump, etc.

Not really feasible to do.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I know from experience how much of a bear it is to get the '79 hood "started" upwards. If it's too much to do for you, why not find a California hood made out of aluminum? Lots of expense but it is a solution.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

AtlantaMc

Thanks guys. Was just curious as I'm seeing these kits available more and more for some newer cars. I once owned a 87 Le Sabre 2 DR T-Type that had the forward opening hood and loved it! And on a REALLY HOT DAY IN TEXAS, in a parking lot, I stuck the beach umbrella(post)down into the engine compartment to provide shade while I changed out the water pump!  8)  Need to find that picture! My 97 De Ville hood seems to lift up higher which might be due to the body size difference... 
Regards,
Mark McDermott
1979 Coupe DeVille
1997 Sedan DeVille

Ken Perry

I have a aluminum hood for sale with the light weight springs. Ken Perry >:D
Cadillac Ken