News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

83 Eldorado Hood Latch Problem

Started by planetcadillac, October 22, 2013, 04:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

planetcadillac

I uncovered the car last weekend and lo and behold I cannot get the hood to open. I pulled the lever inside the car, which was met with what I considered the usual resistance, but the hood did not pop. The hood lever and handle are not broken inside the car, so I have every reason to believe that the cable is still attached. It may appear to be a latch problem under the hood. I have only had experience with the handle breaking off inside the car requiring the use of a pair of Vice Grips or something similar to pull on the cable. The car is stored inside with a cover and is in excellent condition so it is not likely that corrosion on the latch is the culprit as I lubricate it with grease at least once a year.

Any thoughts? Anyone attempted to use a wire hangar or something similar under the hood to manually activate the latch? Unfortunately the battery is disconnected so I cannot take the car anywhere but I cannot imagine anyone doing anything I cannot do in the garage.

Thanks,

Craig #17308 Charlotte, NC
Craig Seman #17308

76eldo

Craig,

Have someone push down on the hood as you pull the hood release.
Then make sure the latch is greased.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

Ya have one person hold the release lever and another person pushing down (lightly pounding) on the hood at the same time.

Mine do that if its been a while since I had it open.

Its a good sign that it felt normal otherwise.   If the cable was unattached it would not retract. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason