News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1968 SDV battery cables

Started by Kell Oskarsson, October 22, 2013, 05:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kell Oskarsson

Hello everyone. A quick question: I recently purchased a pair of original look battery cables from USA Parts Supply for my ´68. I noticed that the negative cable has a smaller diameter wire running from the battery terminal (see pic), which my older cable (probably non-stock) does not have. Does anyone know what the smaller wire is supposed to hook up to?
Kell Oskarsson

1968 Sedan de Ville
1979 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Sedan

cadillactim

The smaller wire is a body ground.  Goes to the sheet metal.

Tim
Tim Groves

Gene Beaird

As Tim says, a body ground. I think it attaches to a sheet metal screw on the pass. side inner fender. I'll try to get out to our 68 tomorrow and get a picture, if you need it. I think it's still there on our Calais.

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Kell Oskarsson

Thanks Tim.  Gene, it would be really helpful to get a picture if it´s not too much of a hassle  :)

All the best,

Kell.
Kell Oskarsson

1968 Sedan de Ville

Gene Beaird

Kell,

My mistake.  Wrong car.  Our 68 Calais does not have the body ground wire, nor a screw close to the ground cable where such a wire would go.  The cables have been modified by using those cheap 'repair' terminals, but that small ground wire is not there. 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Gene Beaird

I will note, however that the positive cable on our Calais does have a smaller-diameter wire that leads to the battery terminal on the alternator.  Both cables are black from the factory, so are you sure that isn't the positive cable?  The other end of that cable does look more like a ground terminal than the starter terminal, but I thought I'd ask, just in case. 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Kell Oskarsson

Gene,

many thanks for checking this. I discovered upon removing the old ground cable that there was a short, braided ground strap coming out of the cable near to where the cable is grounded in the chassis (behind the front bumper). This ground strap bolts into the chassis near the radiator support (the only way to get to the bolt is thru the lower grille (in the bumper) on the passenger side. Presumably the extra wire in the new cable is supposed to replace the strap.

Your Calais might also have this setup - the ground strap is not visible from the engine compartment, you really only notice it once you get under the front of the car in order to unscrew the main ground cable.

Kell.
Kell Oskarsson

1968 Sedan de Ville

Scot Minesinger

The negative battery cable does have a sheet metal secondary ground wire and it must be hooked up.  On the original battery cable the sheet metal hook up wire was near where the large cable bolted to the frame and branched off from there instead of at the battery connection.  If you look at an original 68 Battery cable at the frame connection for negative cable you will see the sheet metal ground.  It is vital that this ground connection is made.  Otherwise problems will result, such as the ground will be reached by other means, such as thru the thin alternator ground and melt it.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty