News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1979 DeVille 425 Remanufactured Engine Question??

Started by AtlantaMc, October 24, 2013, 09:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AtlantaMc

I'm looking at having a re-manufactured engine installed due to major problems with my current one. Has anyone out there had experience with this?Which one(vendor) is better than the other? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Someone recommended Jasper Re-manufactured Engines, but there are so many out there. Hyperformer has a 7yr/100,000 mile warranty for about $1,700.00.
Regards,
Mark McDermott
1979 Coupe DeVille
1997 Sedan DeVille

TJ Hopland

Check with these guys.  500cid.com  They specialize in the 500 and 472 but they also will do 425.  They do stock to insane.  They have actually manufactured several parts for these engines.  I have not bought a complete engine from them but I have bought parts and they are great to work with and seem to sell good stuff.  I have heard that they have decent shipping rates.  Not sure about warranty.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

AtlantaMc

Thanks TJ!  I had actually came across them while researching what was out there. I just looked over their site much more closely(drooling at some of the complete engines) and really liked what I saw... Didn't find anything about warranty though. I will call. I just told the repair shop this morning to put it back together for now so I can take the car back to storage until I decide what's best. Sooo disappointed to find that my Aunt's maintenance wasn't up to par. I will bring it back to it's original glory though. Baby steps... Thanks again, and have a great weekend!
Regards,
Mark McDermott
1979 Coupe DeVille
1997 Sedan DeVille

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Mark,
There is nothing exotic about the 425 motor, and all parts necessary for a rebuild are readily available.  I am currently in the process of building a 472 motor for my '79 "Paris", and although (to the untrained eye) it will look like the 425, the only '425" parts will be the oil pan.  Again, if you are looking for authenticity, a reputable machine shop should have no difficulties with the 425.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

AtlantaMc

Thanks Greg! I've never herd of the  "Paris" style before...
Regards,
Mark McDermott
1979 Coupe DeVille
1997 Sedan DeVille

TJ Hopland

I did my 500 about 5 years ago.   I pretty much did a stock rebuild and I think I had about $3500 into parts and machine shop labor.  I pulled the engine myself and had a friend help me assemble it.   About 1500 miles later the new oil pump sized up.  It all had to come out and apart again.  Luckily did not seem to damage the cam or crank so new oil pump, this time a blueprinted one from MTS (500cid), and main and rod bearings and I was back on the road.   I think in the 2 years between buying the first set of bearings to the second set the price had tippled.   I have found MTS's prices to be fairly competitive so I try to buy all I can from vendors like them just to help keep them in business and keep them producing parts that will keep our cars on the road longer. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Mark,
"Paris" is the emblem that the Coachworks (American Custom Coachworks of Beverly Hills CA) used on the 200 (supposed number) of 1979 Coupe Devilles they converted to an "El Camino" style vehicle and were sold , Just like the Mirages of 75 and 76 through Cadillac dealers.  It was an $11,000. option on an $11,000 car.  I have not found more than 2 or three others left in "captivity".  Mine too had a knock in the motor, which was probably due to poor oiling (read that gunked oiling system) attributable to poor maintenance.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

AtlantaMc

Greg,
  Okay, now I remember!  Growing up in North Houston TX, I remember seeing a few of those Caddy Camino's in the neighborhood. Thought they were cool!! Some neighbors also had the Mirage(2 seaters with tires on each side of the body) and one family had the Caddy Stationwagon with TV in back of front seat! People were from all over the world in our area due to the oil business. There was also a stretch Toyota which was funny as they were so small back then... Lots of neat cars from all over the world people would bring/import with them. Fun place to grow up if you liked unusual cars; even usual cars!! Ha! The good ol days!!
Regards,
Mark McDermott
1979 Coupe DeVille
1997 Sedan DeVille

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Sorry to hear your engine has descended to such a state of disrepair. That's very unusual as the 425 was one of Cadillac's better (if not best) efforts - but there's only so much even a 425 can take.

I just got a price of $3,900 (dealer/shop cost) from Jasper Engines in Indiana. They're one of the best. The price includes freight (both ways). So perhaps there's a starting point. The engine is guaranteed for 3 years or 100,000 miles.

Honestly, it would be a lot cheaper if you picked up a rough 1977-1979 Cadillac with a healthy heart and swap. As I said, very seldom do they do bad.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

AtlantaMc

Eric, thanks so much for checking into that! Is that the GM engine or a different brand? Warranty is good too. Have a great weekend!
Regards,
Mark McDermott
1979 Coupe DeVille
1997 Sedan DeVille

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Happy to be of help.

Jasper does not stock that engine unfortunately; yours would need be removed and rebuilt. Turnaround time was given as apporoximately 3 weeks.

Their rebuilding services are first rate. I had gotten an HT 4100 from them back in '06. It cost $3,100 less $500 core deposit (they already had some in stock). I've heard that engine is considerably more expensive today. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Scot Minesinger

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty