News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 cadillac horns wont shut off

Started by dgworks845, October 26, 2013, 12:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgworks845

I've been restoring this car for 10 years now, I'm just about completed with it except my horns wont stop blowing as soon as I plug in my new horn relay. I took the steering wheel back off, the wire running through the column has the plastic bushing in place, the back of the horn ring still has the rubber gasket on it. I put cruise control on the car forcing me to change the nuetral safety switch in which I put my old one back in and still. HORNS ARE BLOWING... at the horn relay the red and tan wire is hot...Help me if u can.. Thanks,Dwayne

LeRoy DeVol

Dewayne; Disconnect the horn wire at the steering column and if the horn stops then the problem is in the steering column. If the horn still blows then either there is a short in the wiring from the relay to the column or you have a bad relay.

Lee DeVol 

dgworks845

thanks leroy, the horns do stop when i disconnect the tan wire on top of safety switch on the column. but i also took it a step furthur to diagnose the wire at top of the column being shorted out inside the hollow shaft. I grounded my test light to a positive lead then tested this wire to see if its ground and NO,my white wire in the column isnt grounded. this is insane.... dwayne

dgworks845

my mistake the tan wire to the relay is grounded this is the same wire that plugs into top of neutral safety switch riding on a spring loaded brass button pressing against the external part of steering shaft...do you know where the center shaft white wire leads to ? this is the wire running through the shaft

dgworks845

i think i have it figured out now. the top of neutral safety switch where the tan wire plugs on is grounded some way. this should only be grounded when the white wire running through the column hits the offsetting of horn ring and says NOW We are grounded go ahead and blow....I gotta rip the column apart, this sucks....thanks for your help
dwayne

Fintasia59

Hi guys,

Thank you so much for this thread. It's been very helpful since I have had the exact same problem and I don't think I Have a neutral safety switch riding on the spring loaded brass button... Can anyone send me a picture of what the wire is suppose to hook into?

Thanks!

jcweis1

hi my 1959 Cadillac horn wire from the horn ring has become disconnected some where in the steering shaft. Where does the wire go to connect at the bottom of the steering shaft? I cannot find where it comes out of the shaft and where it should connect. please help!  thanks!

J. Gomez

Quote from: jcweis1 on August 17, 2020, 08:50:04 PM
hi my 1959 Cadillac horn wire from the horn ring has become disconnected some where in the steering shaft. Where does the wire go to connect at the bottom of the steering shaft? I cannot find where it comes out of the shaft and where it should connect. please help!  thanks!

Jeff,

The wire connects to an insulated brass ring around the steering column, the horn contact at the NSS rides on the brass ring.

You will need to basically removed the several items at the steering shaft and disconnect the column at the steering gear flange to get it out for the repairs, not an easy task.   :(

Just follow the Service Manual for the removal process.   ;)

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082