News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Please help, cant find replacement 79 Eldorado motor mounts

Started by seok, October 26, 2013, 06:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seok

Im having trouble finding new motor mounts for my 79 Eldorado. I've called every auto parts store in town and they all seem to have the wrong ones. dont even have the same mounting points. ive tried looking online and nothing comes up correct either. im at a loss.
does anyone here have a clue where i can find them? or an alternative replacement?

Heres the pic of the correct ones...
pyramid shaped because the frame is flat, one mounting post on the frame and 2 holes for the mounting bolts to the bracket up top.

the ones that keep coming up are flat with 4 mounting holes to the frame and a hole for a pin or a bolt thru it. seems like these are for a real wheel drive like the 79 seville. they dont fit mine. 
Matt Dennison

80 Biarritz 455 Olds swap
64 Deville seriez 62
91 brougham
79 Eldorado Biarritz (sold )
07 DTS
'68 Buick skylark

TJ Hopland

Rock Auto.com still has them.   I just ordered a set last week.   Have not installed them yet.  Looks like its going to be a PITA.

The ones you show photos of are the typical RWD style.  I think the earlier body style Eldo's mounts may have been similar.   Have you tried looking up a later model?   They were the same through 85.   Riv's and Toro's V8's were also Olds like yours, maybe having your store look up one of those will help. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

seok

Thats the thing, rockauto has the wrong part listed also. The ones pictured at the bottom for real wheel drive are the ones rockauto sells for a 79 :-\
So I decided to search for a Toro and the pic they had looked right looked it when I got them they were ALSO wrong. Ughg. They had the same shape as mine pictured at the top but the mounting point to the engine bracket is wrong. Toro has one bolt hole in the center, mine has two. I think Toro has a completely different engine bracket, which is wierd since its the same olds 350. Im lost and sitting here with two sets of wrong motor mounts.
Matt Dennison

64 Deville seriez 62
91 brougham
07 DTS
'68 Buick skylark

Scot Minesinger

1979 and 1980 Eldorado front engine mounts:  0.027AR is the part number from USA Parts 304-724-600 and they are listed in their catalog on page 50, price is $119.95

The 1979 with the 350 V-8 is my favorite of the era.

Good luck and enjoy your Cadillac
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

TJ Hopland

I just went and looked at the mounts I got and they seem like what you describe with the one hole.  DEA A2629.     The bottom is a single stud.  The top is a square plate about 2 1/2 inches.   There is a threaded hole in the center and then a peg on what would be the up side.

I'm too lazy to crawl under my car at the moment and see what I have.   As far as I know all the V8's used the same mount, they just had a different steel bracket to go from the mount to the specific engine.   I think the V6 was different but I never got deep into any of those.  I wonder if perhaps early 79's were slightly different?  Maybe calling USA would be the best to see if they have a 2 bolt one.  Gotta be rare if they want $120 each for them.  If they are that rare I would worry about them being old stock and having shelf rot.   I think I would be looking at modifying the bracket to accept the more common mount.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

bcroe

The 79-81 Toro & Riv will use the same mounts as a 79 Eldo 350.  The 80-81 Eldo would
have entirely different mounts for a 368.  The Olds mounts were changed in 82 along with
the 4 speed overdrive; probably nothing crosses over.  I don't know a source; try NAPA. 

It is a disgrace that the parts industry has no interest in even keeping the books right for
older car parts. I have seen this over & over.  Best shot is take the part in and COMPARE
THEIRS.  Bruce Roe

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guys,
The MPB shows the mounts fitting both sides 79 Eldo only & 80/81 Eldo & Seville RH side only. P/N 1616432. I have no way to look up other marques.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

TJ Hopland

Matt, does the left and right appear to be the same in your car?   Maybe that was the change, early they were different and later they were same left right?    I won't have time to crawl under mine till late in the week. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

seok

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on October 27, 2013, 06:51:33 PM
1979 and 1980 Eldorado front engine mounts:  0.027AR is the part number from USA Parts 304-724-600 and they are listed in their catalog on page 50, price is $119.95
Good find Scot thanks, but holly crap that price! cool catalog, i'll have to save that page for sure.

Quote from: TJ Hopland on October 27, 2013, 09:16:33 PM
I just went and looked at the mounts I got and they seem like what you describe with the one hole.  DEA A2629.     The bottom is a single stud.  The top is a square plate about 2 1/2 inches.   There is a threaded hole in the center and then a peg on what would be the up side.
Yep those are the ones I received the last time I ordered. A2629, My 79 bracket has 2 bolts threaded down into the top of the mount, A2629 is only one as you described. obviously for a different bracket.
Quote from: bcroe on October 27, 2013, 09:30:14 PM
The 79-81 Toro & Riv will use the same mounts as a 79 Eldo 350.  The 80-81 Eldo would
have entirely different mounts for a 368.  The Olds mounts were changed in 82 along with
the 4 speed overdrive; probably nothing crosses over.  I don't know a source; try NAPA. 
Thanks Bruce, good to hear from you again!  I figured you would jump in here with some info.
Quote from: TJ Hopland on October 28, 2013, 07:40:28 AM
Matt, does the left and right appear to be the same in your car?   Maybe that was the change, early they were different and later they were same left right?
Yes they look exactly the same, both sides, just spun around.
Matt Dennison

64 Deville seriez 62
91 brougham
07 DTS
'68 Buick skylark

TJ Hopland

What is the bolt layout on your mounts?  It must not be center and then the high side like the peg?  Like maybe the peg was a replacement for the second bolt?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

bcroe

The 79-81 mount bolts to the front of the Olds small block (the upper steel part,
not the rubber part).  The 82-85 Olds mount doesn't go on the front, reaches farther
back on the engine & uses different frame holes I believe.  And no doubt, different
rubber parts.  Bruce Roe

TJ Hopland

Tomorrow I should have time to crawl under mine and find out which ones I have.   I hope its the ones that are cheap and easy to find (and the ones I already have on hand).
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

seok

Heres a picture out of my FSM for the 79 Eldorado, it shows the mounts with 2 bolts evenly spaced, mounting to the engine brackets. the A2629 mounts will not work TJ, at least not with this bracket I have, the bolt hole and peg will not match up right.

the other pics show the 2629 mounts on a Riviera, THIS bracket is correct for those mounts. It is one "U" shaped bracket as opposed to my 79s two piece as seen in my first pic. plus the mounts sit at an angle unlike the 79 Eldo.
I wonder if I could just find this bracket at a junk yard and swap it into my car with the A2629 mounts I have. that would be a lot cheaper than $119ea posted above!
Matt Dennison

64 Deville seriez 62
91 brougham
07 DTS
'68 Buick skylark

TJ Hopland

I got a chance to check mine.  Both my 80 Eldo and 81 Riv have the one bolt mounts.  Mine are diesels and the Eldo has a reman engine in it so I suppose the mount got changed to what seems to be the later version when the engine was installed.    I have another engine out of an 80 Eldo in storage, I will go look and see what that one has.  That too was a reman.   I would think a junkyard is worth a try.  Lots of Olds engines Riv's and Toro's.

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

TJ Hopland

I got a chance to look at my spare engine out of an 80 and its got the 2 bolt style.  I did not get a real good look at it because of the way it was sitting but I did see the 2 bolts.   That style does seem a little more complicated.   I could not see where it attaches to the engine.  The later one looks like it catches the regular mount holes.  It almost looks like the earlier one ends on on other holes.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

r2law

seok

No Bruce, thats the A2629, same part I have sitting here new. Those have the one mounting hole for the engine bracket. I need two holes. Im wondering if I could just find and use the different one piece bracket pictured above so I can use those mounts.??
Matt Dennison

64 Deville seriez 62
91 brougham
07 DTS
'68 Buick skylark

TJ Hopland

I think you could swap the brackets.   I did not get a good look at em but to me it looks like it mounts on the lower 2 of the 4 regular mounting points on the block.   Only problem would be if they also changed something on the final drive bracket because I believe that too ends up having a bolt or two involved with that stock mount location.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

TJ Hopland

In your 79 diagram it shows something for the PS pump being on your bracket?   I will have to go look and see how that is done on the 81 style. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV