News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Chrome recommendation

Started by Earl I, October 29, 2013, 01:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earl I

I need to re-chrome my front bumper and bumper guards for my 1937 La Salle. I had it done in 2005. The local company I used did not do a good job and it is starting to flake.  I sent the door handles off to a seperate company somewhere in Texas and was not happy with the job they did either. Can any members recommend a good, quality company I can ship this bumper to have it re-chromed?
Thank you. Earl Ice

N Kahn

Spacecoast Plating in Florida are the best, they're not cheap but they're not outrageously expensive either.

Mike Baillargeon #15848

I've used Speed & Sport Chrome in Houston Texas.

Real nice quality work and a 2-3 week turn around.

They have been advertising in our Self Starter Magazine.

Mike Baillargeon  #15848
Mike
Baillargeon

35-709

Spacecoast Plating (Melbourne, FL) did every last piece of chrome on my '35 Resto-mod.  They are at 975 Aurora Road, Melbourne, FL  32935    Tel. 321-254-2880.

One of the big dogs in plating is --- Paul's Chrome Plating ---- http://www.paulschrome.com/

Thanks to the EPA, none of the good chrome shops are cheap anymore --- unless they send their stuff off to Mexico like a certain bumper outfit in California --- and then you get, uhhhh, just what you paid for.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Brian Dowell

Had the chrome done on two 30 LaSalle's and the 60 Cadillac doing now. The guys are really nice and I trust them. A-W Custom Chrome 17726 E 9 Mile Rd, East Pointe, Michigan 48021. 586 775 2040.  :)
30 LaSalle Coupe
30 LaSalle 7 Passenger touring
33 LaSalle Sedan
60 Cadillac Convertible
15 Model T Touring

Dan LeBlanc

Your location may help us narrow things down to a reputable shop that is also convenient.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Don Warder

If you live in the northwest, I'd recommend "Spokane Metal Finishing."  They have a web site with the same name followed by ".com."
My experience with them reflects high quality work and reasonable pricing (but still expensive) since it is chrome work.
Don Warder

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

I believe that Mr. Ice is located in southwest Alabama.

B Readling CLC#25871

Earl,
I just returned from Madison Tn. yesterday.My wife and I left our parts to be rechromed with S&H chrome plating. We also visit Advance plating which was near by. We chose S&H mostly because of what three other long time customers who were there picking up and leaving their stuff had to say about S&H.We talked about an hour and I heard nothing but good about them.I believe we made a good choice.
Earl, you asked me about the distance between the bumper braces on my '37.The distance between the inside of the frame horns edge to edge is 28 and7/8". The distance from the inside of the bumper brace block to the inside of the other bumper brace block is 27 and 3/8".The block is where the bumper brace actually bolts on.I hope this helps and good luck.
Brady - CLC#25871

B Readling CLC#25871

Earl,
Let me add a PS. Advance Plating has a one year guarantee on their work. S&H is for as long as you own the car.
Brady - CLC#25871

Allen Blackmon

I had Tri City Plating in eastern Tennessee plate the front and rear bumpers on my '76 Eldorado. They did a great job. They only plate steel, they do not plate die cast parts.
Allen Blackmon
CLC #18647

1973 Eldorado convertible
1976 Eldorado coupe
1973 Eldorado convertible

Paul Phillips

I just picked up the final batch of plating & polishing for my 41 60S from S&H this week and am quite happy with the results.  The grille gave them fits to get results they were happy with, but the best part was they kept at it until things were right and didn't try to deliver something that was not right. 

One recommendation I would make is to talk with your plater about how parts are installed and what shows.  They will need to put hanging wires in some of the holes as part of the process, and these may well leave slight 'shadows'.  Letting them know which holes are covered by large head screws or ones that will be used to insert rubber bump pads will make everyone happier with the results.

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout