News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

68 Fleetwood fuel pump & lines routing

Started by nick.stratta, October 31, 2013, 07:28:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nick.stratta

Hi All,
Attached pics of my current fuel line routing. I seem to have a secondary aftermarket metal fuel canister fixed with rubber lines (and I'm not sure the cut steel lines are flared!). I was thinking of removing it and returning the fuel line system to normal - a hard line coming out of the bottom of the fuel pump and into the carb.
And for your delight a pic of the 68 Fleetwood with the engine out.  We had to take the fender off to get it out forwards - the crane wouldn't clear the cross member.  Still now I can clean and paint the whole engine bay, radiator support panel and front brace with the battery box and inside the front fenders!
regards, Nick CLC 23023
regards & thanks Nick
CLC 23023, CLCMRC Museum benefactor 113

Gene Beaird

Nick, 

That looks like the factory fuel filter.  It is supposed to be attached to the pump via a metal line, but that's what the one in the picture in the FSM looks like, and the picture when looking up the filter in an online parts house web site shows for the AC GF440 filter. 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Glen

I think the problem is you have the wrong fuel pump.  That looks like a 69 and later pump which has the filter in the pump.  The 68 pump has a 90 degree output connection.  This makes a neater line to connect to the filter.  See picture below. 

What is not shown in that picture is the bypass line going back to the tank.  It comes off the top of the filter. 

Someone may have done this because the right filter (GF440) is hard to find now.   

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Glen

Compare the 68 above to the 69 shown here.     
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

nick.stratta

Thanks all, I see the difference.
I guess the filter in the 69 style pump must be pretty clogged now and disassembling it will probably wreck the gasket - and I can't find a new gasket. OPG does 3/8" and 5/16" line canister filters so I'll probably replace the existing filter with one of these.
In line tube has a '68 pump to carb line and a '69 one for $20 or $25 stainless so I'll probably get a new '69 line off of them.
Thanks all!
regards & thanks Nick

Scot Minesinger

Stainless look great but can be very difficult to seal, because the double flare fitting is harder and does not seal as easily as standard steel.  Incidentally the standard steel lines are lined with a copper or brass and will not corrode like original steel fuel line, so this is just a matter of cosmetics/installation ease.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

nick.stratta

Scot, 
Thanks - I'll go with the standard steel then and save myself $5 too! Thanks
regards & thanks Nick