News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1941 underseat heater fan operation

Started by rustytractor, October 31, 2013, 07:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustytractor

My '53 has separate controls for the dash and single Underseat heater fan whereas the '41 Series 63 Sedan I recently acquired has two Underseat fans, one bulkhead fan but only one control that I can find.

The bulkhead defrost fan works fine using the control to the left of the steering column  - what controls the Underseat fans or are they automatic based on the temperature selected ?

Please excuse my ignorance here - I'm learning more about the car every day.

Thanks

Russ   
Too many cars - too little time !!

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Russ, they are totally automatic. Move the large lever underneath to where you want it, and when the car warms up, it will stay at that temperature all the time. This was the very first auto temp control that you see with the dial and red/white/ and blue bars on it to much in the 1960s and 1970s. What makes it work is the unit on the firewall with the wire exposed somewhat. I believe it was called a Ranco Valve. There is only one control for both under seat fans.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

rustytractor

This is pretty remarkable for 1941. Today we take automation for granted but in 1941 ? Unbelievable and kind of wonderful really !

Did they continue with this automation into the '50s with other Sedans ? As mentioned my '53 convertible uses lever controls to switch on/off and vary the speed.
Too many cars - too little time !!