News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'74 eldo convt.

Started by Viator Trudeau, November 01, 2013, 07:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viator Trudeau

Are the soft top convt. top covers the same for 1971 theu 1976 the same.
Are they held on with snaps or a flat clip fastened to the cover which is slipped under the molding at the rear of the of the back seat? Thanks.
V.Trudeau

TJ Hopland

They are a combination of snaps and clips that hook on the body.   I believe they were all the same. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

76eldo

All the same.  There are a couple of snaps on the interior quarter sections, and plastic tabs that slip under the stainless belt molding.

There are repro boots available.

I also have a hard boot if you need one.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Brian,

What price is your hard boot?

Thanks,

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Viator Trudeau

Hello again, about the boots for a 74 ELDO convt,  my top when fully down, its not low enough,for the flat boot??? I am cautioned not to force it down to be flush W/ body as damage to top mechanism could happen.
The top seems to fold properly with the fabric tucked in properly, but the arms and other hardware wont go down enough.  Is there an adjustment for this, or will I have to have a "taller top made."
There is nothing in the space where the folded top goes behind the back rest of the seat.
V.trudeau

The Tassie Devil(le)

The top on my own '72 doesn't go fully down, but the hard boot still fits over the highest part.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

76eldo

There is something wrong with your top and it needs to be adjusted by a top expert.
If one thing is out of whack with your top, you can break the rear window or break one of the arms on the way up.

Check your side cables and make sure they are complete and make sure that they are attached at the side rail. Your intermediate bow may not be "stacking" correctly on the way down causing the hump.

$400 on the hard boot, but they break easily in transit and must be very carefully packed so shipping won't be cheap.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

The age and condition of the top will also make a difference.   20 years ago when my top was only 10 years old I don't remember it settling down that far but just before I replaced it this summer it seemed like it was almost flush with the top of the body.  The new top looks like it sticks up maybe 2-3 inches.  It did seem to settle a bit after a few hours but ran out of good weather to leave it down longer so I will find out next season.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Viator Trudeau

T. J. your reply is very enlightening, my top is less than one year old and the fabric is stiff.
Other comments indicate that soft and hard covers have space under them for my condition.  Thanks.
V Trudeau

TJ Hopland

When I bought that car 20 years ago I was told the top was about 12 years old and that it had never been down or outside since it was installed.   

Sitting in the sun seems to make them more flexible.   If you have the correct conditions try letting it sit in the sun for an hour or two before you put it down.  Be careful not to leave it down too long when it cools off at night.  If its tight and cold it may be difficult to get latched again.  The last few years with my old top it did not make any difference, hot, cold, or how long it had been down.  I could leave it down for a week and put it up in the cold and it was fine.  When I first got the car if it was cool or down for more than a day or so it was difficult to latch.  I did not get a chance to have my new top down this season. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

Whenever I decide to drop my top, I wait till it is nice and warm after sitting out in the sun, and then whel I put it back up, I do it well beore the sun goes down.   This way, Mother Nature assists me in maintaining a nice fit, and long life.

If for some reason I don't put it up after the sun has gone down, and the day has cooled down, it stays down till the next time I take the car out of the Garage.

Years ago, a friend left his down all Winter, as he didn't want to risk damaging it as it was rather old.   Come the next really hot day, up she went, and all was good.

One of the vagaries of convertible ownership, if one doesn't plan on replacing the roof too often.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe