News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Second 1968 Eldo Question

Started by gregm, November 06, 2013, 01:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregm

These switches were in the trunk.

They both have vacuum ports...all part of the headlight switch assembly?
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. - Thomas Jefferson

Chris Conklin

Hi Greg,

First, fantastic purchase! Congratulations. I've pasted a link to the Modified Chapter below. It should take you to the illustrated parts manuals. You can browse there to iD some items as well. It's a great resource. Again, congrats!

http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/documents/Shop_Manuals_and_Illus_Catalogs/
Chris Conklin

Rob Troxel

Headlight switch on the left..very rare

gregm

Quote from: Rob Troxel on November 06, 2013, 05:51:06 PM
Headlight switch on the left..very rare

I don't get it....I have a headlight switch in dash, another complete sentinel switch in trunk plus that one?

Could the switch have something to do with my head light door issue? See question 1.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. - Thomas Jefferson

Glen

The one on the left is a headlight switch; does that mean you have two spares?  I don’t recognize the one on the right and it does not look to me to be of the correct era.  It looks newer than 68. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

gregm

I will take a better pic of the other...it looks like it bolts to something and has vacuum ports...

Viator Trudeau

i have had a '68 ELDO since 1988.  The switch on the left is the head light switch.  The slider type vacuum sw. on the bottom has three hose connections.  One is the vacuum supply to switch, the other two supply  the open and close nipples on the vacuum actuators.
I replaced all vac. hoses at that time.
My doors would fall open by the weight of the metal covers.  The large "O" ring piston seals were loose in the bore. The pistons are sheet metal W/ a "V"To hold the "O" ring.
The sealed end of the cyl. similar to a juice can top can be removed by carefully grinding thru the top edge of the clinch of the cap.
I drilled four small index holes before the grinding the top clinch away then that end can-be removed.
the four wire brads afford proper alignment at re-assembly.
The "O" ring piston seals had shrunk making the piston loose hence the doors falling open.
I reused the original "O" rings with a night line backer (one turn).
and they have been tight in the cylinders for the last twelve years.  I used J-B weld to reseal the tops of the cylinders.  I could have bought new actuators, but they were $ 75.00 each then. I have the sketch in my file some were if any one is interested.
V. Trudeau

gregm

I am going to continue this and all threads with questions under the "My First Caddy" theread in resto section. Please follow up there.