News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

70 Radio Repair Help

Started by Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373, November 07, 2013, 10:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Have a 70 Deville with a dead radio.  It has power but no sound.  I had read that turning it on without speakers blows the amp.  Well, it had speakers, but they were very very shot so I think it would have been the same as having no speaker at all.  I hooked up other speakers but no luck.   
I really don't know where to start.  Does anyone have a manual or at least a suggestion as to where I should start?
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

GoldEldorado

Make sure to use 10 ohm speakers. Anything below 8 ohm will fry the finals/ amp in the radio.
1970 Gold Eldorado
1973 Chrysler New Yorker

STS05lg

Jeff,
GoldEldorado is correct, and if you end up having to have the radio rebuilt i would highly recommend:
Southern Electronics, 730 Research Rd, Richmond, VA 23236
Phone:(804) 423-1100
Hours:Monday - Friday 8:00 am â€" 5:30 pm EST

Southern has rebuilt 3 seperate signal seaking 1970's Delco radios for me and each one has worked perfectly after they rebuilt them. They do all the radio work inhouse and take real care in shipping the radios back to you once they are repaired. However, they outsource the rebuilding of stock spearker (somewhere in Florida). However they bench tested the spearkers once they were rebuilt and returned them to via Fedex with enought bubble wrap to fill a Yugo... :D.

Lynn

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I'd like to try to tackle it myself if possible.  Any idea how to fix the finals/amp?
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

Glen

I’ve never done a repair of one of these radios but the first thing is to check all the electrolytic capacitors and replace the ones that check bad. 

The “finals/amp” mostly is just the last transistor.  Check it and see if it is OK.  If not then find a replacement and install that.  You probably can not find the original output transistor but there are many that would work. 

Of course you would also do a visual inspection to see if there are any burned resistors, broken wires, bad connections etc. and clean anything that needs it. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Well, nevermind.  I opened it up and it is a bit too much without a manual for my skill level.  Will just put it on the repair list for when that lottery ticket finally hits.

Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373