News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1980-85 Eldorado Heat/Air control head interchange

Started by 76eldo, November 08, 2013, 08:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

76eldo

From 1980-1985, the control head for the heat, AC and defrost all look the same on the Eldorado's.

Are they interchangeable?

When the buttons are inoperative, can there be another cause?  It has juice, lights up, but does not change settings when you hit any buttons.

I have several of these laying around from 80's Eldo's, at least one of them must work...

The car I am working on is an 81 Eldo.

Also, how about the blower power module that's mounted on the blower box under the hood?  Multi year fit?

Thanks,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

cadillactim

The 80-81 Eldo and Seville control heads are the same, and the 82-85 Eldo and Seville control heads are the same.  The 80-81 power modules are the same, and the 82-85 modules are the same.

The biggest problems with buttons not working is the sheet of plastic inside the head that protects the contacts from moisture.  This plastic literally crumbles with age, and then pieces of this plastic get between the contacts and the buttons making them not work.

Later control heads did not have this problem. 

If you don't have a good one, I do rebuild these units.

Tim
Tim Groves

TJ Hopland

When was the outside temp added?  My 80 did not have that but it seems like 81's did or was it 82?   Did that make them not interchangeable?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

cadillactim

Outside temp was added in 82.  The faceplates are totally different on 80-81 than the 82-85.  Also the circuitry in the systems is different.

Tim
Tim Groves