News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

New Member / Just Acquired a '51 Fleetwood 60 Special / 95% Original

Started by Spinal_Fusion_51, November 14, 2013, 11:53:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spinal_Fusion_51

A Newbie Introduction:  Hello fellow Cadillac Owners.  My Name is Bryan and I live in South Bend, IN, the home of Notre Dame and Studebaker.  I'm 60 this year and decided to start work on my "Bucket List".  I am a "Systems Administrator" with a small aerospace machine shop.  Been there more than 30 years and started out as a machinist.  I became a self taught tool and die maker and ran the company's toolroom for 15 years.  Then I became a self taught computer tech and I've been fooling management ever since as their Systems Admin.  (It's comfy work if you can get it.)

I recently had to part company with my Honda Interceptor Sport Bike due to some severe back issues.  To take its place, I thought I'd find a fast and loud hotrod to satisfy the bad little boy that still hides within.  As I searched the car websites and eBay or Craig's List, I found that I really liked Fins & Chrome.  And yes, there are some really cool hot rod Cadillacs around, I just can't throw 85 grand at a purple '59 low rider with a 572 crate motor under the hood.  So I'm looking at barn finds, partially finished project cars and old restorations gone bad.  But, I had to be honest with myself, in my condition I can't take on a project like that.  So a turn-key car is what I sought.  And this 51 Fleetwood is what I bought.  A click over 16k on eBay and I owned it.  I just wired payment yesterday, and am making arrangements for shipment today.  Should have her in my garage in a couple weeks.  It isn't perfect.  The radio doesn't work and the newish paint job was done with a non-oem color.  :-\  But, according to the seller that is it for a list of non-working items.  So I'll put the eBay page link up for all to see and when it gets here, I'll tell you all what the seller forgot to disclose.  And just as a personal observation: I am not seeing many '51 Series 60 Specials around here?  If there are others, please reply and let me know you're around. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1951-Cadillac-Fleetwood-60-Special-/390693702614?nma=true&si=Ht4jWv10JN%252FOEyGgLZ%252Fjqpo11FM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557#ht_54wt_1362

Looking forward to running into all of you soon.  (Oh, maybe I should rephrase that.....)

Bryan Stethem

(I attached a couple photos below but not sure yet how this forum works, so if they aren't there, I'll work on it.)
CADILLAC........A NEW REALM OF MOTORING MAJESTY

jyinger

Hi Brian.

I'm with you--I love the 50s Cadillacs.  At one time I owned five of them--four 1950s (one Fleetwood) and one 1952 (also a Fleetwood).

Then, during some personal crisis, I've forgotten now which one, I sold all of my old Cadillacs (including seven 1949s) and focused instead on gardening.  Now I am back to the old cars.  My latest two are a 1958 Eldorado Brougham and a 1952 Fleetwood.  Very much like your, except for the color.  Also low miles (9,000), also in very nice original condition when I bought it. 

She has been tuned up, repainted, and given new tires.  Here are a couple of photos:

Jon Yinger  clc#26643
1949 Fleetwood (2)
1949 CDV
1952 Fleetwood
1958 Eldorado Brougham
1951 Chrysler Imperial convertible
1951 Chrysler Imperial 2-dr hardtop
1956 Chrysler Imperial sedan (2)
1956 Chrysler Imperial 4-dr hardtop (4)
Jon Yinger

Spinal_Fusion_51

Hello Yon,
I see you are from California.  I was born in North Hollywood and grew up in Palmdale as my father was an employee of the Lockheed Skunkworks.  A divorce sent me to the midwest at about 8 or 9. 

Thanks for the photos of your 52.  But to be honest, I studied those photos of your Emerald Princess a couple days ago. (I've been lurking here a week or two.)  When I look at the condition of your car, I'm not so thrilled about mine!  (just kidding, but yours is pretty dang nice)  Your engine compartment is to die for!  Very sanitary sir.   

It looks like the 52 is running 12 volt, Yes?  I thought it was 53 before they went to 12 volt.  Or is it converted?  I'm going to need to do something with mine as "tunes" are a requirement.  I'll bet a good sub-woofer will sound really good in that huge interior!

I need to get back to work, but thanks for the welcome.   I'm sure I'll have lots of questions and I'm betting you would be able to answer most of them, so we may be in touch later. 

Thanks again,

Bryan Stethem   

C.R. Patton II

Hello Bryan

Welcome to the ranks of Cadillac ownership!

Your car looks outstanding. I like the color combination. I would suggest:
(1) Acquiring an authenticity manual
(2) Joining our national organization
(3) Visiting a region near your residence and becoming a member to enjoy the full benefits of our organization.

I look forward to viewing your car at next year's Grand National and/or the CLCMRC Fall Festival in Hickory Corners.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Spinal_Fusion_51

C.R. Patton II Sir,

Thanks for the welcome.  I appreciate the compliment on my new baby. 

(1) Acquiring an authenticity manual THAT SOUNDS LIKE A VERY GOOD IDEA.
(2) Joining our national organization  I DID THAT EARLIER TODAY.  ALSO ORDERED MYSELF A SHIRT/HAT WITH THE CLC LOGO!
(3) Visiting a region near your residence and becoming a member to enjoy the full benefits of our organization.  I CERTAINLY INTEND TO DO JUST THAT.

Thanks for the suggestions.  And I do hope to attend a couple national events so I can drool on some 100 point cars. 

Thanks again,

Bryan Stethem

Spinal_Fusion_51

Mr. 49er,
Just so there is no confusion, my car is the white over brown one.  The green car was posted by a gentleman replying to my introduction thread.  But the green is nice, indeed.

Bryan Stethem

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Bryan,

Welcome and congratulations on your new find. I saw it on ebay and was impressed by its the overall condition. From the data plate your car was born painted black  with tan Bedford and broadcloth interior. The interior looks excellent and has just enough patina to be original…….Old car interior smell is just the best.

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Spinal_Fusion_51

Hello Ralph,
Yes sir, I just figured out how to determine the original color about 2 hours ago.  I downloaded a 142 page document from Cadillac with just about everything you'd ever want to know about 1951 Cadillacs.  In that document was color codes and combinations for everything they built.  I sure do wish they had repainted it back to black.  Oh well, this color combo does look nice.  This is my first car bought on the internet without seeing the car first.  So my fingers are crossed that it turns out well.  The seller is just certain it will impress me upon arrival.  The shipping arrangements were just completed, so she'll be home soon. 

Thanks for the nice welcome,

Bryan

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Hello Bryan and welcome both to the forum and the CLC.

Sounds like you're well on your way of discovering all the CLC has to offer.

Congratulations on your acquisition - it certainly appears a well preserved original, color change nonwithstanding.

In case you're interested, the 2013 club directory lists 21 1951 Fleetwood 60 Specials in CLC membership hands.

Congrats again and welcome aboard.

Eric
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

Bryan:

Welcome to the CLC!  Nice purchase and a nice car!  Well bought! I live in La Porte and would love to see your car and meet you. 

I would also encourage you to join the Indiana Region of the CLC.  You can learn a little bit about the Indiana Region by visiting our website at:  http://inclc.org/  The CLC has several members in La Porte and several in the South Bend area.  Our next event is in Lafayette, Indiana on Saturday, November 23.  If you are interested in attending this event feel free to p.m. or call me at 219-362-6316.

Bill Hedge, CLC #14424
Message Board Administrator
Cadillac & La Salle Club

Richardonly

Bryan,

Congratulations and welcome!!!  Love the color combo on your car and a Fleetwood is hard to beat.  To me, they are the cars we may have ridden in as children, not the convertibles, club coupes or Eldorados.   Those were the sporty cars, beautiful and eye catching, but never rode in one until I bought a 1975 Eldo Conv when it was about 5 years old.

I never lack for attention at cruise nights or shows with my Fleetwood, EXCEPT at Cadillac meets where everyone has brought one.  LOL.

Best of luck, Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

jyinger

Hi again Bryan.

Yes, Emmie was converted to 12-volt.  We used  a 12-volt alternator from PowerGen that is built to look like a generator.  You can see it in the engine photo I posted.  The 6-volt starter works great on 12 volts; all of the light bulbs were changed to 12-volt; some gauges were changed, some (including the clock) got a resister so that they still work on 6 volt.  The ignition system was updated Pertronix.  The BIG project was updating the hydro-electric system--all new cylinders from the guy in Florida and a rebuilt pump using a 12-volt motor.

And the sound system:  I installed a Kleenex box under the dash which contains a modern Sony BT3800U am/fm radio, blue tooth, CD player, and auxiliary input for iPod, USB and flash drives.  I have two new speakers installed under the rear shelf, two more under the dash.  Open the Kleenex box (tilt the front down), and you have access to great sound.

Cheers.

Jon Yinger
clc#26643
Jon Yinger

Spinal_Fusion_51

Hello Mr Hedge,
I thank you for the nice welcome.  As far as joining the local chapter, that is my intention as time permits.  Nice to know fellow CLCers are close by.  I am looking forward to "showing off" my new baby at some local event soon.  But let there be no doubt, this car was not my first choice.  I, like so many other people, lust for a '59 in one of the more popular configurations, like a convertable.  But alas, the spoon that was in my mouth at birth was stainless steel not silver.  But I am sure I will be thrilled with my '51.  It should be on the way north in a day a two.

Thanks again and we'll see you soon,

Bryan

Spinal_Fusion_51

Hello Richardonly,

Thanks for the welcome and word of encouragement.  Your 48 looks very well looked after.  No wonder you get attention at shows and meets.  I would be looking myself!  Your carpet looks new, is it?  I'm going to need to replace mine at some point and I'd love to put the proper replacement wool pile carpet back in.  It lasted more than 60 years so it must be good stuff. 

Thanks,
Bryan

Spinal_Fusion_51

Hey Yon,
You don't make the task of converting to 12 volt sound like fun!  I have seen the 6V to 12V bulb sets available for my ride.  As well as the alternators that look like old gennies.  But changing each window cylinder does sound like a chore (and an expense too).  I do want to upgrade to an electronic ignition but I could do that at 6V.  I guess I'll just wait and see how it all goes.  At the rate I am falling apart health wise, maybe I'll be deaf in a couple years and won't need a stereo. 

Take care Yon,

Bryan

Richardonly

Bryan,

The carpet was in the car when I purchased it a few years ago.  It is NOT an original style carpet, but it works for now,  Other than the "Caddy" people, no one knows it is not stock.

Last year I took 2nd place and this year I took 1ST PLACE at the regional CADILLAC LASALLE meet. (NERCLC)  Of course this all depends on who shows up in your category..........Meaning if there were 100 cars in my class, I may have gotten nothing.

That being said, if your entry is the only one in your class, shouldn't you receive 1st, 2nd and 3rd????  (ONLY joking, :)

Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

Gene Beaird

Quote from: Spinal_Fusion_51 on November 14, 2013, 11:53:12 AM
<SNIP>Then I became a self taught computer tech and I've been fooling management ever since as their Systems Admin.  (It's comfy work if you can get it.)

<SNIP>
Yes, it is, you just have to get past the 0200 on-call phone calls and the midnight maintenance!!

Nice ride.  It looks like there may be some fabric-covered wiring on that car.  I think others will tell you it's probably a good idea to replace that with something a little better.  It's a job, but a real safety item, especially if you're considering converting to 12V.

Beautiful color combination, IMHO.  I'm not sure I'd attempt to convert it back to OEM color.
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873