News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1958 Bendix Treadle Vac problems

Started by Christian Aicher, November 17, 2013, 09:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christian Aicher

Hi there,

My 1958 Cadillac with a Bendix Treadle Vac brake system has developed a very hard pedal with almost no pedal travel. When applying the brakes it is almost as if there is no vacuum assist and you have to apply a lot of pressure (sometimes scary) to get the brakes to work. My 1958 Buick with a similar brake system has a "normal" pedal movement with a nice power assist. When I try to push the plunger up (at the booster, not the pedal), I can not get more than about 1/2 inch travel. Is this indicating a problem with the master cylinder (swollen seal hanging up at port?)?

Regarding the booster:
I checked the vacuum at the hose that goes from the engine to the booster and I have about 14 to 15 in Hg at idle (without check valve). When measured with the check valve in place it goes up to 20+ in Hg when reved up.
When I checked the vacuum container, I used a hand vacuum pump and pumped it to 10 in Hg vacuum and it stayed there stable without loosing vacuum for several minutes (until I pulled the plug).
However, when I try to apply vacuum to the inlet on the booster, I can not build up a vacuum, not matter how hard I try. When I connected the vacuum hose from the engine to the booster without the check valve, I mean to hear a hissing sound (difficult to determine with the engine running).
So I assume that there is an issue with the Treadle Vac, even though it was sent out for overhaul by the previous owner.

So here are my questions:

Can the Treadle Vac be rebuild "at home" (with a repair kit for both the main cylinder and the booster including a new leather piston seal) or is this a job for an "expert" rebuilder?
    Does anyone have any clues on what actually might be damaged?
    Will a master cylinder rebuild take care of the short pedal movement? Btw: wheel cylinders work well and brake hoses at front wheels were replaced to exclude collapsed hoses from the equation.

Thank you for any hint,
Christian Aicher
1958 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan
1958 Buick Super Riviera

Grant Owen

The internal Vacuum hose may have come off. They are an easy Booster to rebuild yourself , the last one I rebuilt I never used a kit make sure springs OK get rid of any corrosion & use Neets Feet oil.  Google or look at a Lincoln forum it is the same booster used on 57 Lincolns. Most of the so called Professionally rebuilt boosters I have seen never seem to work that well & have problems they use the wrong size Vacuum hose or make the hose  to short & they never seem to get rid of the corrosion which causes drag so the booster never works properly.