News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

78 Eldorado Finish Interior

Started by waterzap, November 19, 2013, 10:36:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterzap

So, got my 78 Eldorado back after 7 months. I had the car repainted, and the vinyl top removed. There was quite a bit of rust under the vinyl roof, and that did get fixed, and the car was painted. To say the whole process was a pain, is an understatement. Excuses, excuses. He broke the windshield when he removed it, and the last month the guy could not get a windshield. Excuses ranging from the suppliers broke the glass, they didn’t have the glass, they came to the gate, but didn’t call, he was in jail…..etc.
So in the end I gave him what I owed him, and took my car back.

Guess what, called someone here on Saturday, they came yesterday, windshield is in. But now the rest of the car is not done.

The headliner is hanging, the trim is all on the back seat and the trunk. There is still sand in the trunk from the sand blasting. Guy took the rear seat out, and part of the interior to weld new metal to the roof. Have to now put that all back. Car also still has to be wet sanded, as I can see some runs and things, but I can wait on that.

So what do I do? Where do I start? I am thinking, putting the headliner back in would be a good start. Its just hanging now. But I would want to put some nice insulation. I can probably take the car to a shop, but I really would prefer to do this myself if at all possible. I really don’t want to spend more on this car in a shop anymore.

Any insulation I should put in the roof before I start?

Ill post more pics of the works in progress.
Leesburg, AL

Gene Beaird

I'd put no insulation in the roof.  Anything you put in there is going to be glued to the roof, and subject to the full heat of a day in the sun.  The headliner won't support much weight.  I'd just get the headliner replaced (and I'd take it to an upholstery shop, as opposed to DIY). 

But yeah, headliner now, especially since some of the interior is out.  Since the back seats are already out, you can try to lay down some Dynomat (or equivalent) in some of the exposed surfaces. 

You'll be finding sand for years!  Luckily, the headliner is out, so that's a source of sand you won't have to deal with.  Vacuum now, vacuum often.   :D

It looks kind of monochromatic with all that metal painted one color.  I like it w/o the vinyl roof, though.  You've eliminated a source of rust, too!  Beautiful color.
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

waterzap

Thanks Gene. Ill take it to a shop then.
Drove the car without windshield last weekend. Not very comfortable, but I just wanted the car back.
Leesburg, AL

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Get the headliner in--that way it's done.  As you say, the rest you can do yourself.  Get to where you are driving the car. You have been without it for months and you should enjoy it.  You don't want an excuse to not drive it.  Lets face it, months without it can make you lose interest. 
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

waterzap

Actually drove the car a bit last night. Dirty interior, hanging headliner and all. Runs great. Just sad that its such a mess.
I was hoping to drop off the car. A month later come and pick it up, pay him and drive away. Not vacuum sand out of my trunk, and figure out how to put pieces back 7 months later.
I really would like some trim for the side windows, and new trim for the back window. He broke the strip on top, rear window. Had to break it apart fully to just put it back on.
Leesburg, AL

waterzap

Anyone have any idea what I can do with the windows?
The car had vinyl, so I dont have any trim for the small windows. I will take them out anyway, just plugging them in there with all that rtv or whatever is not attractive
After two weeks the stuff is still not dry, so all kinds of dust and dirt got in there.
Leesburg, AL