News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1939 LaSalle Engine Display

Started by Fred Zwicker #23106, November 23, 2013, 10:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred Zwicker #23106

We stripped down and detailed this 1939 LaSalle engine and put it on display on a stand in our car museum.  I thought some members might like to take a look.  We have some really nice cars on display, but this engine seems to get more comments than most of the cars. 

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

markl

Fred,
I love it!  Any chance you could give us the dimensions of this rolling engine stand?  And in particular, a picture from the rear that shows how you are supporting the back of the  engine?

Mark Lowery, CLC #25216

Fred Zwicker #23106

Thank you Mark,

We modified an existing engine stand that can be purchased most anywhere, but was purchased at TP Tools in Canfield, Ohio. Since engine is on display in our car museum at work we wanted to be sure it was very stable and safe.   Attached picture shows the mounting at rear of engine.  After these two pictures were taken, we added a 1939 LaSalle Transmission directly below the engine on the same stand, which really looks neat.  Transmission was also detailed.  I will get some more pictures posted later in the week.

In addition to this LaSalle Engine, we have on display a Ford Flathead Engine and a Chevy 350 Engine, which is mounted for display on an entire original front frame section of a 1969 Camaro.  Many visitors to our car museum have never seen an engine out of a car and are amazed.  See www.tipcars.us  for our car museum, showing 2 LaSalle Convertibles (1930 & 1939) and 2 Cadillac Convertibles (1947 & 1966), along with many other cars.

Fred

Steve Passmore

Quote from:  We have some really nice cars on display, but this engine seems to get more comments than most of the cars. 

Fred
/quote]

I  know just what you mean, these two engines are sat in my shop and are always a talking point, mainly trying to name the differences between 1936 and 37.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

C.R. Patton II

Hello Fred

Good to read from you again. I hope to hear from you soon.

As always you are an unselfish scholar and gentleman.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

harry s

Fred, Very nice display. If I'm in the area I would like to stop by the museum. I have seen a lot of pictures in the catalogs. Steve, I had never seen a '36 engine out of the car. There are quite a few differences. Very interesting.
I saved a '47 chassis from the middle of the cross member forward and use it as a test stand. The idea for a future project is to rebuild an engine and trans to mount on it for display. I have '37 engine and a '41. Now all I need is the time and money.    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Fred Zwicker #23106

Did anyone notice that we have the wrong fan blade?  We used an old one from stock and don't know what it fits, but it was all we had on hand.  However for non-Cadillac experts, no one knows the difference anyhow. On this engine, we also posted an information sheet showing all of the specs and also mentioning that Cadillac used similar flathead engines in their tanks in World War II.  After this picture was taken, we mounted a nicely detailed 1939 LaSalle transmission on the lower part of the stand, which adds to the interest.  We had quite a few hours in this project.  It was supposed to be a quick cleanup and an aerosol spray paint job, but we got carried away and went for more detail - even removing the oil pan and heads and everything else to get it to look like what you see in the picture. If I get a chance next week, I will take a few more pictures.

As for our car museum, we have some nice LaSalles and Cadillac Convertibles on display (over 40 cars total), along with our engine displays and a mockup of an old gas station (see attached, but Cadillacs don't need much service, so are not shown in that picture (plus they don't fit in the small space anyhow).

All CLC members are always welcome to see our cars - the car museum is open every Saturday from 10-3 (free admittance), but for club members, I can get you inside most any time in the afternoons (Tue-Thurs), as I am semi-retired and work on those afternoons only.  In addition to the attached interior pictures, attached is an aerial view of our complex.  Our car museum buildings are shown in the left foreground.  See www.tipcars.us or www.fzoldcars.com for more pictures of our cars.

Fred

joeceretti

Very nice museum! I have to ask about the squared off corners on the block of the display engine? I'm pretty new to all of this and these engines. I thought pre-war were all rounded.

Fred Zwicker #23106

We had an extra engine from an unknown car and a bunch of excess Cadillac or LaSalle parts in our warehouse and made up the engine display shown in my previous post for visitors to see what an older Cadillac/LaSalle engine was like.  As I previously mentioned, we did not have the correct fan blade (so used one we had from another unknown car or truck) and I also want to mention that some of the accessories are probably incorrect or missing.   I am not sure of the squared off corners of the block - we used what we had.  Also the spark plug wire attachments are missing (we didn't have any).  We purposely painted certain parts of the engine in contrasting color to show the detail. The fuel pump was probably from a later Cadillac engine, but again, it was all we had.   We were not going for 100 point judging, just trying to make up a neat looking engine for others to see, most of whom are certainly not in the same league as forum members. For any  discrepancies or errors I apologize, but this is what we came up with.  During the process we checked for any cracks in the block (there were none) and we lubricated everything and got the engine to turn over, in case some day it might again be serviced.  Thanks for all of the comments. 

I have some other pictures of an engine shown in my 1939 LaSalle that was taken during the restoration that might be more correct.  Check it out in attached pictures.

Fritz

joeceretti

I'm certainly not complaining. I'd take the engine and put it on display too. Your car is beautiful! Mine is nowhere near that, yet.

C.R. Patton II

Hello Joe

The workmanship and equipment sold by Mr. Zwicker is exemplerary and highly recommended. I would also suggest a visit to his museum.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

joeceretti

No dispute from me. Everything looks incredible, I was just wondering about the block. Trying to understand the visual cues and differences between these engines. I did notice some variations in paint on some parts and assumed the reason for that. It's great that the engine has been kept in running condition for someone in the future. These engines are only becoming harder and harder to find as time goes by.

I am sure I would enjoy a visit some day.

Fred Zwicker #23106

Thanks Joe, Chuck, Harry, Steve, Mark and others,

Repeating my previous offer: All CLC members are always welcome to see our cars - the car museum is open every Saturday from 10-3 (free admittance), but for club members, I can get you inside most any time in the afternoons (Tue-Thurs), as I am semi-retired and work on those afternoons only.  See www.tipcars.us or www.fzoldcars.com for more pictures of our cars. 

Better to call first if coming to visit our car museum to be sure I will be there.  If you call (we answer our phones live), ask for Fred at 800-321-9260 and mention that you are a Cadillac-LaSalle Club member and want to see our car museum, per Fred's post on this forum. (I am semi-retired and normally do not take calls, but am often at work).  We have over 40 cars on display, including four LaSalles and Cadillacs at present.

The 1939 LaSalle Convertible restoration was featured in our catalog a few years back, with a cover picture and 6-page in-depth article, showing the restoration in detail.  I retained some extra copies of these catalogs at the time and (subject to availability) I will be glad to mail one to any CLC members on request, but I will need your mailing name and address to do so.  To order one of these older catalogs, go to www.tipcars.us    At the top of the Home Page is a link: Contact Us.   Click on that link, enter your name, address and a short note asking for the 1939 LaSalle Catalog. I will take care of this separately and have a copy sent via 1st class mail. (We do not share customer information with anyone - never have and never will).  If you also care to receive a current catalog, mention so in the note and I will have a current catalog inserted into the same envelope. (Please do this by email at www.tipcars.us , not by phone - thanks).

Fred

*Note to the moderators - I am not attempting to solicit business, but providing information that might be of interest to some.  If this is not permitted, please delete this post.  Thanks, Fred