News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Collector Car Insurance + Road Trip = 0?

Started by mgbeda, June 05, 2012, 04:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R Schroeder

Steven,
I was not comparing prices . I was looking for AGREED value, which all of them have. I was looking at how much PLEASURE driving you could do with the company that was covering you. This is what was posted in the very first post.
Most of them say limited pleasure driving. Hagerty does not limit you.
State Farm says NO pleasure driving. Shows only.

Infinity Classic collector has 3 different mileage plans. You didn't state which one you had when you compared prices. They also don't touch on pleasure driving to clearly. They also use NADA / collector guide prices to value your car. Mine would not be covered for the full value I want.

Again it is know what your coverage is, and how you can use your car.
It was never about price in my case. All plans are NOT the same.
Roy

R Schroeder

Just got a call from Hagerty. I'm good to go.
Roy

mgbeda

Just wanted to answer something asked a while ago, which is what does the policy say, in writing, about acceptable use.

There are literally dozens of pages of policies and amendments in my Hagerty policy (and in any other insurance policy I'm sure).  Out of all of that the only lines I could find that even came close to defining usage were these:

""Classic vehicle" means a motor vehicle of
unique or rare design and of limited
production that is an object of curiosity and:
1. Is maintained primarily for use in car
club activities, exhibitions, parades,
other functions of public interest or for a
private collection; and
2. Is used only infrequently for other
purposes."

Nothing specific, in other words.  Taking a road trip once every four years* seems infrequent to me, but, as I said before, on the phone they told me in no uncertain terms that it wasn't covered.  Since other people on the forum have said that Hagerty has told them the opposite I'm going to try emailing them to see if the answer changes.  Otherwise I have to put the car back on my regular insurance.

Thanks again for all your help,

-Mike Beda

*Yes, I took a road trip in that car four years ago, but it was before I had a collector's car policy for it.
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

gary griffin

Infrequently is an interesting word. I have 4 cars with Haggerty and my  Cadillac is not back on the road yet.

I  drive the other three whenever I want and figure that it is infrequently per car even if it is overall frequent.

With our classics half have no operating odometer and the others have been changed or will be by the time we have an accident?   Mileage restrictions don't make much sense to me.

I have driven up and down the West Coast enjoying my cars and will continue to do so.

I will stick with Haggerty.

I do beleive Haggerty requires you to have an additional car insured for daily use.

I had a 34 Mercedes  replica built in Florida and it was in a shop for carpets a few years ago and the shop burned down. I had Haggerty and they were ready to write a check for agreed value but I went with the upholstery shops insurance because it was valued at more than my Haggerty agreed value due to modifications, upgrades, and I bought it at a good price which I could not replace it for.

Our collector car insurance premiums are based on agreed value and I learned that it is better too pay  a little more and get realistic insurance value because you probably can't replace it for an old agreed on value.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

R Schroeder

Mike,
I dont know what the hang up is on your request, but this is what the site says ;

Simply put, we want you to enjoy your classic vehicle. While there are some restrictions in the policy, you’re covered for pleasure use, whether it's a drive on a gorgeous summer day, a trip to the ice cream shop, attending club events or going to shows. If you have specific questions about usage, especially if you own a newer vehicle (generally 1990 and newer), we're happy to discuss them with you.

R Schroeder

I guess the important thing here is that everyone check with there agent as to the coverage they want. Agreed value , pleasure driving ,and etc.........
On Hagerty's application, they have a box to check off for "pleasure driving" , along with shows, and etc. Maybe that is part of the quote. If you say you want coverage for pleasure driving ,your quote may be a little higher.
I did not see that on any other application form I filled out on line. Some of the companies gave me a price, which was cheaper, but said it was only an estimate. Actual cost of policy would be settled at the time of purchase.
I'm happy with Hagerty and I guess that's all that matters.
Roy

mgbeda

The Latest and Greatest,

At the advice of several forum members I asked Hagerty again if I could take my collectible car on a road trip, this time by email.  I just got a phone call from Adam over there, and he, in fact, said that it'll be fine.  And we chatted a while about general and infrequent use, and his definitions seemed like common sense to me, and he mentioned I should take care to secure and protect the car, which I do anyhow.

So obviously I was given incorrect information the first time when I called (instead of emailed) Hagerty, and I started this thread for nothing, so "Never Mind" (in my best Gilda Radner imitation).  But actually if it weren't for the advice and experience of other forum members I never would have asked my question again, and I would have ended up going through the hassle and expense of changing insurance for no reason.  So a hearty "Thank you" to all of you for your help.  :)

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

R Schroeder

I just got my policy and as far as what it says for pleasure driving , they have 3 things that will cancel the policy.

PLEASURE DRIVING - These will cancel the policy
1 - rented or leased to any person for a fee
2 - used to carry persons for money
3 -  using it for an illegal act

That is all they say in the policy about pleasure driving.
I feel very good that I went with them.

Roy

cadillacmike68

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on July 01, 2012, 09:06:09 AM
Boy, it is a pity you guys Stateside don't have an Insurance Company like Shannons down here.

My Collector Ute, on full Rego, got involved in a minor bingle a few weeks ago.

Ended up a financial write-off, and within 5 days of getting the quote for repairs, I had the full value in my bank, and they gave me the "wreck", which is now stripped down, and have the expensive bulky parts heading my way in a friends container.

When it is repaired, it will be better than before, reinsured for double the amount, and me driving it the same as I did before.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   The prang wasn't my fault, as I wasn't driving it, but it was being drven.

Bingle & Prang?  Sounds like a law firm here in Tampa!   :P

I need to re-evaluate the insurance for my 1968 - after I get it back from getting the Climate Control repaired - again...  :'(

As to plates, FL used to have "collectible" but they stopped issuing them because the only requirement was the car be 16 yrs old or older and too many POSs were running around with them.  They still have "antique" plates. The only requirement is 25 or more years old. No usage restrictions, but FL also has the dubious distinction of having a very high percentage of uninsured cars on the road. We also have 50% or radio ads from lawyers, with the other half car dealers....  >:(
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike